HELP!! Chicks with blood in poop???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angel16, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three chicks with blood in there poop and looking lethargic and one isn't doing very well at all, i'm trying to help them but I don't know what causes it or how I can help...... ??? Can someone please help me help them?? I really don't want them to die!! One already died I don't want the others to as well :( Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The problem is most likely coccidiosis. Get some Corid right away and put it in their water. You can get it at any feed store, TSC or Farm and Home.

Also, in the future, make sure the bedding is bone dry and the feeders at least half full. If the bedding gets wet, change it immediately.

3. Angel16

Thank you so much!! I was feeling so helpless!! I have just moved them under a heat lamp and changed the bedding :)

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. Angel16

Unfortunately I can't buy it in Canada :( What else can I do?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    do a search for amprolium or other sulfa drug that may be available there.

Corid is just a brand name of amprolium.

I think in Canada there's a product called Amprol.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have to get it from a vet. It's called Amprol there in Canada, and they will sell you what you need there.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Just curious: 8 years ago when we moved here we got some dogs from my mentor who had moved to a farm. These dogs brought coccidiosis to my dogs and I lost a lot of dogs and puppies. Including the 2 we got from her and the puppies one was carrying. Could the Corid have been put in my dogs water as well? Would it have worked on dogs?

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Amprolium is used in cattle goats , cats and dogs to combat coccocidiosis . Cocci lives in the soil and there would be few places that house animals that don't have coccidia .

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/digestive_system/coccidiosis/coccidiosis_of_cats_and_dogs.html

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by