Help!! Chirping in egg has slowed down

kbbcass

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2015
I could hear the peeps chirping in their egg this am around 9. They chirped off and on all day. No pips so far. Now it's around 7:30 in the evening and I don't hear as much chirping. A few here and there but not as much. Is something wrong?

Any minute little cracks in the eggs, around the level of where the air cells end and the rest of the space in the egg begins? Any rocking? What day are they at? What is your humidity? It may take them a while longer to emerge. They may just be resting. Call me crazy, but go talk to them, cheep or whistle at them. Find a video on line of chicks chirping, and play that!

I have been looking and do not see any cracks yet. They will be at day 21 tomorrow. So far no rocking just chirping. I am going to find some chick chirping music and play it for them right now! I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you so much!!

If they're not even at day 21, I wouldn't worry about it. They're resting up for the big event. The chirping means that they have internally pipped: their beaks are in the air cells, and they're breathing. As they run out of oxygen, and the CO2 builds up in their systems, they will start the synchronized pushing in addition to pipping and zipping for the hatch. Read about it in Sally Sunshine's hatching 101 info. Once you read some of this stuff, you'll never think about chick development and egg hatching the same way again!

That's so cute! With my two that already hatched it's like a symphony in there. Lol. It's hard tho because I can't hear the other eggs to listen if they internally pipped.

Back
Top Bottom