Help choosing a flock to manage..

Pics
Basically. There's a definite exception for well bred Mediterranean breeds, but they can be harder to find, and slightly more expensive. Just some dual purpose breeds you can consider. Brahma, Chanteclers, Sussex, Orpingtons, Buckeyes
One of the reasons I considered Sussex is their dual purpose as well as being a heritage breed. I got the Dominiques after my straight run didn't work out well (7/3)!
:barnie
IMG_20231222_131411899~2.jpg

IMG_20231223_162210488.jpg

Yes, I read that heat could be a bigger issue. I took that into consideration with building and location of this coop. It faces south for winter and is placed under a large maple tree for summer shade during mid day sun. Top is completely open air and will be adding windows come spring for more air circulation. Here's a picture for reference before I built the run... Thanks
Looks good. Now in contrast to my previous post, I would think about what you will do when the uncommon, but treacherous blizzards comes. Maybe some precut wood panels that you can screw over most of the exposed wire. I tend to "batten down the hatches" in prep for the really big storms. The "battens" come off once the event is over. Scraping/shoveling snow from inside the coop while your chickens are glaring at you is something you won't want to do a second time.
Rarely needed, but planning ahead feels so good when the prediction comes for a big storm.

Okay.. if im understanding you correctly.. a good dual purpose breed will take longer to produce and not as many.. but will produce over a longer period of years? And are healthier in general? This sounds perfectly good to me. Can you name a few for me to choose from please. Thanks
There are commercial lines of hybrids that produce exceptionally sell their first year. Second year production is still ok, but not enough to justify the space and feed compared to the first year pullets, so off they go to the soup factory. Some people have rescued these "spent hens" and found them to be decent layers for several more years. I would not be surprised if they out-laid the more "dual purpose" breeds for several more years, they are bred to be laying machines. They can have higher incidents of reproductive problems, no one tracks that commercially and the farmers don't care.
I have heard the theory that all hens lay the same number of eggs over their lifetime, some just take longer, but that does not stand up to reality. I have some ornamental breeds (Ayam cemani and genetic hackle, for example) that would have to live 20+ years of laying to catch up to a Legbar or Welbar, and if you kept the Legbar that long, she would probably still be outlaying the pretty girl (not that legbars aren't pretty, they are very pretty little things).
The last little "secret" that is not mentioned when extolling the value of the "dual-purpose" breeds, is that very few of them as sexable as chicks, except with vent sexing at the hatchery, which is not 100% accurate. If you really don't want to deal with a rooster, stick to breeds and hybrids that you can sex, even with no experience.

This is an example of a pair of chicks from an autosexing breed. These are Welbars, an autosexing version of the popular Welsummer breed. You can figure out the sex yourself if I tell you that females look like chipmunks and males look like caramel candies.

wb-chicks.jpg

Welbars are an outstanding laying breed. I do not replace my breeders every year, like many hatcheries, they keep laying year after year. Their eggs start out very dark brown and fade to lighter brown as the season progresses. I imagine it as they are running out of ink, just producing eggs faster than the color producing glands can keep up. I love the very dark eggs in the early spring, but I also smile when I gather 20 lighter brown eggs in August from a pen of about 2 dozen hens that are several years old.
In some ways, Legbars are even better with their bright blue eggs! And when I cross the 2? I get autosexing Olive Eggers, those are actually my most popular chick most years. The olive egger chicks look exactly like these Welbar chicks - I have to keep them separate in the hatcher and brooder, but they develop a jaunty little comb-over sort of crest as they grow up. Very distinctive looking and amazing layers just like their parents.
I have spent years developing these lines of laying breeds and have a large local following of chicken keepers. Most of my sales are referrals or returning customers now, and I am trying to get other breeders setup with these genetics to make chicks available to a larger geographic area.
I can tell you that a mixed group of these breeds will all get along and mix as if they were siblings. I see it over and over again. They do have some similarities in size and color patterns, but they are distinct breeds that live together in harmony.

Looks good. Now in contrast to my previous post, I would think about what you will do when the uncommon, but treacherous blizzards comes. Maybe some precut wood panels that you can screw over most of the exposed wire. I tend to "batten down the hatches" in prep for the really big storms. The "battens" come off once the event is over. Scraping/shoveling snow from inside the coop while your chickens are glaring at you is something you won't want to do a second time.
Rarely needed, but planning ahead feels so good when the prediction comes for a big storm.
Thanks.. yes, I will have something in place for that moment when it comes.. either corrugated metal or clear plastic. You provided a plethora of info in this thread.. thanks for taking the time!

Thanks.. yes, I will have something in place for that moment when it comes.. either corrugated metal or clear plastic. You provided a plethora of info in this thread.. thanks for taking the time!
I've been keeping poultry a lot of years and I had a lot of help along the way. Still getting advice from people with more experience. It is only right to pay it forward and help others. I find most people who keep animals have a certain generosity towards people also.

What ever breed you choose here is some advice I found very helpful. I personally prefer to get baby chicks and raise them. I have mix of 14 chickens and have had some issues with them getting along. If you are wanting them for egg layers I would recommend the death layer they lay until they dye.
Here is video about how to make chicks think you are momma

I am thinking Speckled Sussex, Dominique, and Buff Orpington. I am in the mountains above Williamsport, PA and these breeds work really well for me because we get more snow than in town. We do have a potential winter storm coming 8 - 12 inches of snow coming and could be more. Some of my chickens are going to be fine with it ( mainly these breeds ) and others.... not so much.

if you have a bigger coop entrance and they have a bigger run or you let them out in the day time i would recommend light Brahmas they get big but if u get hatchery ones wont reach there potential in size but i still recommend them i would say do it with chicks u could still train them to be friendly if u buy pullets but i think the chick raising experience is fun and teaches you about more stuff bc they will eventually be pullets like u could order them from cackle hatchery ideal poultry or others or u can get fertile eggs and hatch but then u need a incubator and then u will prob end up with multiple roosters so i would not hatch eggs or theirs buff Brahmas and dark Brahmas but light Brahmas lay around 150 medium-large eggs and are dual purpose so could be used for meet if u dont have a big enough entrance you can get bantams other breeds i recommend are Rhode island reds if u want eggs like u listed. and then welsummers. I didint read all of the posts so if u already decided srry if not hope you like brahmas i love them!

Back
Top Bottom