Help Choosing which cockerel to keep

jeapa

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 4, 2012
I ended up with two cockerels in the batch of chicks I have been raising. They are both about 4 months old now. The Dominique is the dominate one and he has just begun crowing in the past week. Both of them are calm around me thus far but the EE has been frisky with the pullets to the point of trying to grab and corner any as they enter the run. There are 13 pullets that were raised with them. I am leaning towards the Dominique because he seems the most calm with the girls and it might be nice to raise a few of my own. The flock is mixed, dominique, EE, RIR, Black Astro, RLBW, LB.

IMG-2611.jpg
IMG-2607.jpg
IMG-2601.jpg
IMG-2603.jpg

I like the Dominique. But I’m choosing based on looks 😂
I agree with nuthatched on keeping the one that is nice to the girls and you

I like the Dominique too. It has been soooo long since I have kept a rooster. I was still living at home then and my mom had what I believe was just a barnyard mix rooster. He was great and never once bothered me. My main concern is human aggression and then also treating the hens well. My grandchildren visit often and I don’t want them to be at a risk. I would never leave them alone with a rooster, but I would prefer he ignore them.
I tend to be more hands off with my chickens. I held them as chicks to inspect their buts and move them but otherwise just let them be chickens. I raise my chicks in the coop from day 1 as I think this is so much healthier for them and us ...lol...
I think I will wait another month or so and keep watching their behavior before I make my decision. It may be easier to rehome one as Spring gets near.

I agree that it might be too soon to decide based on behavior. Give it a bit more time, and see how they develop. There's no 'sure thing' except that if obnoxious behaviors show up, that's not good. Some cockerels take longer to show aggression, and that's not predictable.
Right now your Dominique sounds good, being calmer. The EE is being a normal adolescent, and if he's not causing injuries, this behavior, so far, isn't that bad.
I'm no help at all here!
Both birds are good looking, BUT what sort of chicks do you want to raise? The EE will perhaps produce more green egg layers, and all will be mutts. The Dominique will produce at least some purebreds, and his EE mixes might lay those green eggs too.
Look up sex link chick genetics; your Dominique might produce sexable hatchlings? I don't remember exactly, but see about that, if it matters to you.
Both birds might be wonderful, or not.
Personally, I'd pick the Dominique, just because i do like purebreds better.
Mary

i’d say if you’ve got such a mix of breeds in your flock it might be fun to keep the dominique to see what mixes you get, might be fun to play around with the dominique, he looks beautiful

Why not keep both.

If I had more space I might, but with my neighbors not that far away I think one rooster crowing will be quite enough. My flock has a little over 1/2 acre enclosed by a six foot privacy fence to range around in. I my opinion 12 hens and I rooster is probably more than enough. I normally keep 8-10 hens in my flocks but chicken math caught up with me this year. This is the first time I have considered keeping a rooster. I like the idea of being able to raise my own. The world is changing and I must admit keeping the chickens and my garden has seemed even more important this year.

Back
Top Bottom