HELP! Coccidia has taken over my poor chicks

byrd95

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
Milltown, Indiana
Hello, I am new to the group. I purchased chicks from who I thought was a trustworthy breeder. I discovered they had coccidia at a young age and thought it had been treated. Everyone was spunky again and eating/drinking fine. They are now two months old and they are not infested I believe. I did not realize this until a few days ago. I've been treating them with corid in their water and changing it out daily. They are also on medicated feed. I've lost six babies and I am afraid I will be losing them all. One of my favorite girls passed away in my hands this morning. I have NEVER had anything like this happen to me before. I've only had chickens for three years now. I'm afraid it's going to keep spreading. Please what can I do to try and save the rest of my babies?

Hello, I am new to the group. I purchased chicks from who I thought was a trustworthy breeder. I discovered they had coccidia at a young age and thought it had been treated. Everyone was spunky again and eating/drinking fine. They are now two months old and they are not infested I believe. I did not realize this until a few days ago. I've been treating them with corid in their water and changing it out daily. They are also on medicated feed. I've lost six babies and I am afraid I will be losing them all. One of my favorite girls passed away in my hands this morning. I have NEVER had anything like this happen to me before. I've only had chickens for three years now. I'm afraid it's going to keep spreading. Please what can I do to try and save the rest of my babies?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chicks and their poop?
What symptoms are you seeing?
Tell us about feed and housing? Photos?
How old are the chicks?

What dosage of Corid are you using?

It's not uncommon for chicks to have a Coccidiosis overload. Even if they were treated by the breeder, there may be a different strain that you have on your property that they have not built resistance to.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chicks and their poop?
What symptoms are you seeing?
Tell us about feed and housing? Photos?
How old are the chicks?

What dosage of Corid are you using?

It's not uncommon for chicks to have a Coccidiosis overload. Even if they were treated by the breeder, there may be a different strain that you have on your property that they have not built resistance to.

Thank you for your response. I will post a picture once I get off of work. I had 14 and am down to 3...I feel like such a horrible chicken mom. I'm doing the best I can with them! The three I have left are barnyard mixes (two bantam naked necks and 1 frizzle). I've been putting 2tsp of corid in the water and they get fresh daily every morning. Their water container is 5 quarts. They are on purina medicated feed. I also have been boiling one egg and putting a tiny dose of corid mixed in with it. Some are interested and others are not. I did notice this morning both naked necks seemed perkier than last night and were eating the egg that was left out for them. My frizzle however has acted like nothing was wrong this entire time. He's also a rooster..not sure if that makes a difference or not. Their poop doesn't seem as red. I've notice some red in the stoll still but I've also seen some solid brown poop instead of diarrhea/red tint. They are in our garage at the moment and my husband has helped fix their brooder to where it has a wire bottom so that their droppings go onto a puppy pad. When they first had this outbreak there was no wire bottom. From here on out any time I have chicks I will be doing this. It seems to have really helped so I can keep an eye out on what their stool actually looks like. The chicks are around 6-8 weeks old.

I'm so sorry you have lost so many!

Are they overheating in the garage?
What state do you live in?
If you lose another, then sending for necropsy would be a good idea.

I've considered sending one in for a necropsy if I happen to lose another. I live in Indiana. I don't think they are overheating...I hate to even think that they are. I am keeping them in the garage because I've never dealt with coccidia before and I have cats and dogs in the house I was concerned about.

I've been putting 2tsp of corid in the water and they get fresh daily every morning. Their water container is 5 quarts.

Their poop doesn't seem as red. I've notice some red in the stoll still but I've also seen some solid brown poop instead of diarrhea/red tint. They are in our garage at the moment and my husband has helped fix their brooder to where it has a wire bottom so that their droppings go onto a puppy pad.
The chicks are around 6-8 weeks old.
I've never dealt with coccidia before and I have cats and dogs in the house I was concerned about.
Coccidia is species specific, so cats and dogs should not get the strains that poultry can get and vice versa.

How warm is it in the garage?
Can you get some photos of the poop and chicks?

Are you mixing up 5 quarts or a gallon (4 quarts) to the 2 tsp of Corid? If using 5 quarts, then mix in 2 1/2 tsp of Corid instead of 2.

Back
Top Bottom