Help, Coccidiosis

No bloody stools just liquid and green to yellow. Lethargic, not laying, combs have flopped over on some. We haven't gone back to the point where any are refusing food or treats. We really thought we had this beat after the 10 day course of treatment described in original post. I actually separated the sickest lady and gave her the treated water by eyedropper. She seemed better after 24 hours so I put her back, She and the rest rallied after 2 days of treatment and continued to improvement. Their symptoms seemed to indicate coccidiosis or possibly Fowl Cholera. The treatment we gave was supposed to be for either.

We have just started the Corid today. They are not as bad as they were, but we are going backwards.

No bloody stools just liquid and green to yellow. Lethargic, not laying, combs have flopped over on some. We haven't gone back to the point where any are refusing food or treats. We really thought we had this beat after the 10 day course of treatment described in original post. I actually separated the sickest lady and gave her the treated water by eyedropper. She seemed better after 24 hours so I put her back, She and the rest rallied after 2 days of treatment and continued to improvement. Their symptoms seemed to indicate coccidiosis or possibly Fowl Cholera. The treatment we gave was supposed to be for either.

We have just started the Corid today. They are not as bad as they were, but we are going backwards.

I know it is frustrating when a treatment is unsuccessful. Oxytetracycline is not as affective against Fowl Cholera, bacterial infections, as Sulfadimethoxine is. Chlortetracycline has 5x the absorption rate of oxytetracycline, and neither cyclines will do much without the aid of vitamin C, and the absence of supplemental calcium during treatments with those antibiotics. That may have been why it wasn't a successful treatment.

A common treatment for Cholera that I've used a number of years ago was a treatment with 2 drugs, one after the other. I used Sulfadimethoxine powder @ 1 tsp per gallon for 3 days. Then ran Tetracycline at 1 tsp plus 1/2 tsp of ascorbic acid per gallon of water for 7 days.

If you have not used Corid, I would use Corid 9.6%in the water for 5-7 days at 2 tsp per gallon (20% Corid powder is 1.5 tsp. If 3 days into treatment you don't see improvement in birds' condition, use Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 tsp per gallon of water for no more than 6 days.

Last edited:
They are on the Corid, started late yesterday. We will go for 7 days. I can also add ascorbic acid. We will see how things are going in 3 days. Again, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. The original recommendation was to use Chlortetracycline. We could not get that and were told that Oxytetracycline would work the same, by the feed store. Obviously that was incorrect. We are in a very rural area, so there are limitations to what we can get. Fortunately they had the Corid.

We will be expanding their yard very soon and they will have more green to scratch around in, right now they have their yard scratched bare, I wonder if that is bad as well. We would free range, but I really worry about the predators, especially being surrounded by woods. We have some clever racoons around in addition to just about everything else that could be a threat.

They are on the Corid, started late yesterday. We will go for 7 days. I can also add ascorbic acid. We will see how things are going in 3 days. Again, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. The original recommendation was to use Chlortetracycline. We could not get that and were told that Oxytetracycline would work the same, by the feed store. Obviously that was incorrect. We are in a very rural area, so there are limitations to what we can get. Fortunately they had the Corid.

We will be expanding their yard very soon and they will have more green to scratch around in, right now they have their yard scratched bare, I wonder if that is bad as well. We would free range, but I really worry about the predators, especially being surrounded by woods. We have some clever racoons around in addition to just about everything else that could be a threat.
Do not add ascorbic acid to Corid treated water. It was only mentioned as an assistant in the absorption of cycline antibiotics. I hope all goes well for you and your birds.

I thought I would go ahead and jump in on this thread...

My 4 week old EE chick started showing signs of cocci yesterday. She had droopy wings, was puffed up, and lethargic. I started her on corid immediatly and saw improvement in a couple of hours. Today she has been fairly active, and I thought we were in the clear. About on hour ago she went right back to droopy wings, lethargic, etc. I have her oulled out, have been dropping corid water into her mouth, and giving her a yogurt food mix.

Is it normal to see symptoms go up and down like this or should I see steady improvement? She just pooped and it wasn't bloody, but was liquidy and had pink in it, looked like lining. It has been about 24 hours since I started her on medication.

Thanks for the help!

Do not give yogurt while treating with Corid. Milk products coat the intestines and may lower the efficacy of the Corid. Buttermilk is often used just for that reason to help slow progression of a coccidiosis outbreak until treatment can be started. You don't want to be feeding anything that will help the cocci protozoa during treatment, so no yogurt and no extra vitamins etc. until the course of treatment is done. Just keep dosing her with the medicated water and see if she perks up again.

Do not give yogurt while treating with Corid. Milk products coat the intestines and may lower the efficacy of the Corid. Buttermilk is often used just for that reason to help slow progression of a coccidiosis outbreak until treatment can be started. You don't want to be feeding anything that will help the cocci protozoa during treatment, so no yogurt and no extra vitamins etc. until the course of treatment is done. Just keep dosing her with the medicated water and see if she perks up again.
Thank you! I just gave her a little, so glad you said this. I have read elsewhere it is easier on their hurt tummies, but this makes sense. I will keep on with the medication! Is it typical to see another drop in behavior after medicating?

Make sure you keep her on corid for at least 5 days. Some people recommend 7 days. Make up new solution every day. Do not give any vitamins while dosing with corid. You caught it early, she should be fine. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom