Help! Cockerel gasping!

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi!

I have a 8 or so month old cockerel (not yet crowing) called Poppy. We will have to rehome him soon bc we are not allowed roos. Recently he has been gasping a little. At first I thought it was only when I picked him up, but I think he does it when he’s down too. I thought he might just be really scared of me, but it seems he does it when I’m not close, although it seems to be worse when I pick him up. I don’t think it’s constant, I saw him today and he was completely normal, but he was doing it again tonight. He doesn’t seem to be straining his neck too much. I can hear him breathing, but it’s not an extremely bad wheeze.

IT IS NOT HOT HERE (IT IS WINTER) AND HE HAS NO OTHER SYMPTOMS THAT I CAN SEE.

I’m pretty worried about him :( I raised him from a young cockerel.

The rest of my flock (3 other young hens) seem a-ok, but should I seperate him? It’s night now, so I can’t send a video, but maybe in the morning. I also have 7 other young chicks I recently got. I’ve noticed one is sneezing occasional, which I will make a separate thread bc I am really worried the little nugget is sick.

Here is Poppy. I will send a video tomorrow.

D41EF737-48D1-4E82-919F-1FAC31A4F66C.jpeg

9B1C2A86-0897-40EC-BE08-1D8AC4A825FB.jpeg

Recently he has been gasping a little. At first I thought it was only when I picked him up, but I think he does it when he’s down too.
it seems to be worse when I pick him up.
I saw him today and he was completely normal, but he was doing it again tonight. He doesn’t seem to be straining his neck too much. I can hear him breathing, but it’s not an extremely bad wheeze.
Can you get some photos of his poop?
What do you feed?

A video of his breathing and actions may be helpful.

Good question about ventilation.

You mention he doesn't seem to be straining his neck too much - what does that mean - gasping/adjusting crop?

I would check his crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink. Let us know what you find out.

Can you get some photos of his poop?
What do you feed?

A video of his breathing and actions may be helpful.

Good question about ventilation.

You mention he doesn't seem to be straining his neck too much - what does that mean - gasping/adjusting crop?

I would check his crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink. Let us know what you find out.
Poop seems normal. I’ve been wrestling with what to feed them, because I have a cockerel, a young laying hen and two not yet laying (28 week) girls. I’ve been sort of feeding them mostly grower, with a bit of layer pellets on the side. Somehow, they seem to know which one to eat. I also offer my hen shell grit for calcium all the time, but I haven’t ever seen her touch it. Her egg shells are very strong though. I haven’t decided what to do because I need to rehome Poppy, somehow he is 8 months and not crowing (but mounting ebony unsuccessfully daily) so it must be soon right?? I’m probably going to be in trouble when he does crow, but I’m in lockdown for at least another 6 weeks. I also give them some fresh grass, leaves, occasional fruit/veggie scraps and a little bit of scratch.

The bedding I use it hemp bedding, it is GREAT! Super absorbent and non dusty. I tried doing deep litter over winter, but didn’t suit my tiny commercial coop so well. I will clean it all out soon and just go back to using a bit of bedding and removing the poop.

I will try to send a video in a minute, I picked him up this morning and he wasn’t gasping. It I should very on and off.

My rooster gasps when he is all hot and bothered -- which is most of the time! He charges the fence sometimes, and he gasps each time he does that. We have an understanding (Jedi mind work) when there is no fence between us, I get 10ft of space, but each time he charges the fence, I hear him gasp.

Back
Top Bottom