HELP!!! Cockrel or Pullet??

Cockrel or Pullet?

• Cockrel

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Pullet

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I just posted these pics on another thread....when I started out with chickens a few years ago, I bought nine...sadly they were labeled wrong, so I ended up with NINE ROOS.....Barred Rock and Australorps...so I will share my pics, you decide....

ROOS

ROOS

a hen from the next year....

one more of my hen....she is full grown and laying by now.

**a pure BR roo will be lighter then a hen....you very well may have a pullet there...you will know for certain in a few weeks....let us know!

Last edited:
The pics look like a pullet who is just maturing faster than the others. I see nothing hinting to she being a he. If it was a cockeral it would have been looking like that at a much younger age.

I hope I'll be seeing eggs soon too!
she/he is cooing like the other girls so I am definitely thinking Hen...
One of the others is starting to get red like this one too... maybe she is just maturing faster :)

Thanks so much everyone! I'll let you all know when I find out for sure!

they are all sisters, the same dark barring also goes for barrreds. the rooster would be lighter and at 15 weeks no doubt about gender.

No eggs yet! We were cleaning out their coop yesterday and we noticed they were acting "weird"
A couple keep laying down or coming back to the coop.. when normally they have a blast outside roaming around and pecking at everything!
is this a sign I may see eggs soon? They didnt seem sick or hurt, just lazy maybe??

One of my Buff Orpingtons developed about a week earlier than the rest. It was overnight that she went from a tiny pink comb to full comb and wattles. About a week later, her flockmate, gotten at the same time, finally developed. I am hoping pullet for you!

They are about 17-18 weeks old right now - a couple of the other girls have "caught up" to the original chicken in question... I think they are all girls!!! Couple more weeks, can't wait to see the first egg :)

So 3 have bright red combs and 3 are still a little behind but I can tell they are getting there!

Will post updated pics soon!

Last edited:

Our first eggs!! What an exciting moment. The small one had a brittle shell, but the big brown one I had to compare weight with the "decoy" egg we have because I couldn't tell the difference!!! All found in the nesting boxes. The two small ones in one and the big brown one in another :)

3 of the girls are constantly laying in the dirt and throwing dirt on top of themselves when we let them out of their coop. Is this normal? They all squat when you go to pet them. We're certain they are all females. I'll post updated pics of all of them. They all look pretty much the same now :)

Back
Top Bottom