Pullet or Cockrel???

NatalieFish

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
Hi All,
I am fairly new to having backyard chickens. I got 7 baby Wyandotte chicks about 10 weeks ago (May 13th). The store said that they were all hens; however, this little one has always been a bit different from the others. It was and still is the smallest of the flock and has a different comb than the others. I read that sometimes they have a single comb.
Is anyone able to tell me if this is a pullet or a cockrel, or if it's a different breed?

Thanks so much,
1689646368603.png

Single comb Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel.
Silly question, but what gives it away? I am trying to convince my husband that a rooster isn't a bad thing to have around... but he doesn't want fertilized eggs. =( He's a sweet bird, so I'd hate to have to get rid of him =(

Usually pullets combs and wattles will stay small and pink leading up to Point of lay. Point of lay 18-24 weeks of age. Sometimes it takes longer depending on breed. So, if you see a chick developing a red comb and wattle at a young age, it’s usually a cockerel. Hope this helps he’s a cutie!

Usually pullets combs and wattles will stay small and pink leading up to Point of lay. Point of lay 18-24 weeks of age. Sometimes it takes longer depending on breed. So, if you see a chick developing a red comb and wattle at a young age, it’s usually a cockerel. Hope this helps he’s a cutie!
Thank you! I will keep an eye on it for a few more weeks. When do they begin crowing?

Depends on the bird I had a cockerel that’s didn’t crow until 4 and a half months and I had one that started at 10 weeks. If you have multiple cockerels the alpha usually will crow first and any beta ones might wait a while before making a peep.

Silly question, but what gives it away? I am trying to convince my husband that a rooster isn't a bad thing to have around... but he doesn't want fertilized eggs. =( He's a sweet bird, so I'd hate to have to get rid of him =(
When a chick develops big comb and or wattles at a young age it is almost always a cockerel. When he will start crowing really depends. Some like to start very early at 6-10 weeks old, others start at 16-20 weeks, and some may not crow until long after 20 weeks.

Why doesn't he want fertilized eggs? They're the same as non fertilized eggs unless you start incubating them.

When a chick develops big comb and or wattles at a young age it is almost always a cockerel. When he will start crowing really depends. Some like to start very early at 6-10 weeks old, others start at 16-20 weeks, and some may not crow until long after 20 weeks.

Why doesn't he want fertilized eggs? They're the same as non fertilized eggs unless you start incubating them.
I think he doesn't want them just incase they end up with a baby chick inside (if I forget to get the eggs right away).
I also looked it up, and I am not allowed to have a rooster in my city =( So, now I have to find a way to re-home him.

Also worth noting, roosters are almost always quite personable and friendly until the hormones come a knocking... commonly when they're young they'll be the first to run up to you when you open the run door or coop...they'll also be the first to "scratch" you... Re-homing is often a good idea, regardless of where one lives if they don't have the space or interest in learning to manage. Often the younger they're re-homed, the better if they're to have a chance beyond the dinner plate (which is also not the wrong answer)

Back
Top Bottom