Help-Code Enforcement came by

Quote:
LOL Sonoran, funny you mention that, some of them do attempt to stay on.

HannaLee how big is your lot?

Sometimes state law provides an out if your lot is big enough.

In case you haven't figured it out I like to stir pots.

I've been on the phone this morning. I have made contact with three of our five city councilmen. I have messages in to the other two. They were surprisingly friendly, helpful and supportive. One in particular seemed to be "on my side". I asked specifically for a stay or an exemption for my hens while I work with them to amend the code. He said he had a meeting with the city manager this afternoon and would try his best....no promises, of course. I promised to have them contained so they could not fly over the neighbors fence again.

I am still waiting for code enforcement to show up to confirm the hens were removed. I will not be letting them onto my property. I have the Bill of Rights printed off to hand them, a video camera ready, just in case. I hope they take my word for it and don't demand entry. I will make them get a search warrant.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but it's a standard city lot, on the big side for our neighborhood. It's plenty big enough for a small flock, imo!

HannaLee,

Do you have a friend/family member who could walk you through -- or even with you -- during this process? I would try for an amendment to the ordinance. Perhaps paying a small fee to a license, such $20 a year? (With the economy being as it is, offering $$$ to your town's coffers could help.)

Good luck!

My husband and children will be attending this first meeting with me, and I have several friends from our town and the next town over that will help with a campaign, if needed, and show up at meeting for moral and visual support. No one had ever tried to get hens written into the codes here, as far as my councilmen knew. Also, some thought that backyard hens were already legal. The idea of offering permit fee is a good one, but with permits may come inspection. I'd rather not have to have code officers inspecting if we can avoid it.

You make a very valid point about the code officers. (We are lucky here -- a friend of ours goes to church with the mayor of our small town, where chicken are illegal. She asked him if it was okay to have a backyard flock. His response? If your neighbors don't complain, how would the town know? Needless to say, he has my vote for re-election for years to come!)

Below are some links, which you might already be familiar with, that list some of the benefits of having chickens. (It can be helpful to have some pro's to cancel out the naysayers' con's)

(http://www.mypetchicken.com/about-chickens/sustainable_living_with_chickens.aspx)
(http://www.mypetchicken.com/about-chickens/10-reasons-to-keep-backyard-chickens.aspx)

Keep us posted how it goes!

Quote:
I'm not sure, but it's a standard city lot, on the big side for our neighborhood. It's plenty big enough for a small flock, imo!

Usually state law comes into play on lots larger than a standard city lot.

For example in Maine if you have ten or more acres and use them for agricultural purposes you are exempted from certain license requirements for hunting or trapping.

In other states you are allowed to farm on lots of five or more acres, this is the case even if the local jurisdiction has you zoned residential.

There are even certain grandfathered situations that apply.

Good luck on your three minute speech, take a couple dozen like minded folks with you those three minutes add up.

I've been there (not for chickens) and after the tenth or so speaker they begin to get the picture.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom