Help! Comet in distress

M

Member 671655

So we lost her sister temple turtle last month to something mysterious…. We still don’t know what it was other than she quit eating and drinking and she’d sleep in the nesting box all day until she just up and died. They are from the same clutch and are a year and a half old. None of my other hens are sick and the same thing as last time (none others were sick ) I never gave her sister an epsom salt soak I’m trying it this time because someone else suggested it to someone else recently. She has some white foamy stuff coming from her vent (before the bath) but I didn’t get a pic (sorry) she seems to really like the soak she’s laying down. Could she be egg bound? She was bearing down when I got to her like she was trying but nothing came out

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 65
How is she doing?

Can you feel inside her vent for an egg?
What do you feed, including treats?

If you suspect she's having trouble expelling an egg, give her Extra Calcium for 3-5 days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Work on hydration and see that she's eating. Look her over for lice/mites as well.

You may find this article helpful as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

How is she doing?

Can you feel inside her vent for an egg?
What do you feed, including treats?

If you suspect she's having trouble expelling an egg, give her Extra Calcium for 3-5 days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Work on hydration and see that she's eating. Look her over for lice/mites as well.

You may find this article helpful as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
I got her eating by giving her egg yolk and soft noodles(her weakness) and gave her an epsom salt bath and she drank water and was perching on the edge of the tub ! She’s still alive this morning. No egg in her vent

Back
Top Bottom