Help! Condensation and moisture? Frostbite?

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
I wasn't home this afternoon/early evening and came home to just a ton of wetness and moisture.

We had 2ft of snow a few days ago, but the temperatures shot up from like 20º to 40º, and it's very wet. I've noticed much of the snow there this morning is gone this evening. When I came home, their food (which wasn't under anything that would make it wet) was definitely wet and the window on their coop (that we can open and has a screen) had condensation, which I know is bad.

Is there anything I can do? Am I worrying for no reason? Can they get frostbite if it's this warm out?
Merry Christmas Eve :)

I wasn't home this afternoon/early evening and came home to just a ton of wetness and moisture.

We had 2ft of snow a few days ago, but the temperatures shot up from like 20º to 40º, and it's very wet. I've noticed much of the snow there this morning is gone this evening. When I came home, their food (which wasn't under anything that would make it wet) was definitely wet and the window on their coop (that we can open and has a screen) had condensation, which I know is bad.

Is there anything I can do? Am I worrying for no reason? Can they get frostbite if it's this warm out?
Merry Christmas Eve :)
I'm in a similar situation. 41" of snow on the ground and we are having heavy rains and the temps jumped up to 44. The snow pack is disappearing and mini-lakes and rivers are forming. The air is saturated and everything is covered in condensation.
The birds will not get frost bite unless the temps are below freezing.

I'm in a similar situation. 41" of snow on the ground and we are having heavy rains and the temps jumped up to 44. The snow pack is disappearing and mini-lakes and rivers are forming. The air is saturated and everything is covered in condensation.
The birds will not get frost bite unless the temps are below freezing.
Thank you! Would they be uncomfortable with the moisture? Thats such a relief thank you.

When I came home, their food (which wasn't under anything that would make it wet) was definitely wet and the window on their coop (that we can open and has a screen) had condensation, which I know is bad.
Post some pics for the coop/run, inside and out.

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1608857190169.png

Is the moisture seeping in from the melt? Is your coop on the ground or raised?

**Duh, sorry, didn't look at the links. Is there a lot of chicken manure build up in your coop? Do you keep food and water in the actual coop part?

Last edited:
I can get some in the morning, right now it's dark out. This is the listing for it though so you can see what it looks like. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cumberland-cottage-coop-dus200120-dus200120 So that coop/run is in a bigger enclosure as well. Here is a video though I doubt the link will work https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipPnYVcvz6Me1xoRMIxj1yKvddSr-TQ09SMSoBtL
This is a very small coop. How many birds do you have in it?
The condensation that is occurring in my area is on everything. Both sides of the windows and the air is saturated. Hound of the Baskervilles setting kind of saturated air. There is nothing much that can be done about that until the air dries out. That is what it sounded like you were describing.
Your coop will have ventilation issues because all of those types of prefab coops are poorly designed for chickens in every way possible.
Too small.
Lacking ventilation.
Poor interior layout.
So rickety and toddler having a temper tantrum could destroy it.

This is a very small coop. How many birds do you have in it?
The condensation that is occurring in my area is on everything. Both sides of the windows and the air is saturated. Hound of the Baskervilles setting kind of saturated air. There is nothing much that can be done about that until the air dries out. That is what it sounded like you were describing.
Your coop will have ventilation issues because all of those types of prefab coops are poorly designed for chickens in every way possible.
Too small.
Lacking ventilation.
Poor interior layout.
So rickety and toddler having a temper tantrum could destroy it.
I know it isn't ideal. They are at my country home for a few weeks, this is not their permanent coop. I have 4 chickens. My brahma is like a full sized chicken, but my rhode island red and leghorn are still pretty petite. They started laying a few months ago. Yes, with all the snow melting there is a lot of moisture in the air. We also got a lot of rain today. My concern now is that the low tonight is 24º. Should I put vaseline on their combs, I've heard that helps.

Is the moisture seeping in from the melt? Is your coop on the ground or raised?

**Duh, sorry, didn't look at the links. Is there a lot of chicken manure build up in your coop? Do you keep food and water in the actual coop part?
No food or water is in the actual coop where they are closed in at night. I don't do deep litter so there isn't manure buildup. I might go put some shavings in there now.

Back
Top Bottom