Help>>>>cooling Down Overheated Bird-SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

neither do i but she is still drenched and the others are wettish too! it didnt happen until hubby put the lid on one side. the waterer was not spilled over. it has to be some response to heat .....or what else could it be?

Quote:
Cindi is right, much as I hate to admit it.

lau.gif

Maybe you should dry them off a bit with a cloth or some paper towels. Take them away from the heat and let them slowly cool off.

I'm thinking condensation, but you have to figure out where it is coming from, be it spilled water+heat+covering with plastic or the outside vs. inside brooder temp. I think you sound very lucky to have caught it. They wouldn't be baked, more like steamed if it had been much longer.

Is it possible they got into the water? If nothing else, it may have kept them from overheating to death. They'll dry and be fine if you have the brooder at 85-90 and let them find a comfy spot- they will self-regulate if you have the light in one corner and allow them to move to the spot of the correct temp for each chick.

In my brooder, I have an area of 100 degrees that is one corner (like a square foot) and then they come and go from that area the way they would from the Mama- warm up, go away. Come back, warm up again.

It's 6'x2 1/2' so the heat is at one end (very extreme) and they roam the length. Sometimes they get in the waterer. They'll just hang out nearer the light until they dry. The whole brooder should NOT be the temp one assumes the birds require.

I use an oven rack over the brooder when they get out.

What temperature is their brooder. it should be 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe move heat lamp to one end and keep waterer and feeder in the cooler end so the chickens can move away from the heat. Your chicken will probably be fine but keep a close eye on it just to be sure.

an oven rack sounds like a great idea. they all seem to be dry again. crisis averted for now. i think it was just the lid. they are all cooled down and dry again. the one buff is still somewhat damp but when i changed their shavings they were not wet at all. i just did it to do something bc i thought they were on their way out! my brooder has the light on one end and a cooler area at the other end. I am new to this but when he put the lid on was when i had my first issue with the chicks. they are quietly chirping and eating and drinking now. even the buff that alerted me is moving around like herself again. i totally freaked out! sorry guys!

No reason to be sorry, everyone has to learn sometime. Like I said, Cindi had a far better answer than I.

Glad they are resettling.

Back
Top Bottom