Help! Coop for chicks is too hot!

Jblanch1983

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
Hello all! Our coop in inside a barn and it easily reaches 95 in there during the day, we bought an electric fence because outside in the shade is much cooler but I just learned they have to be about 12 weeks to not squeeze through the holes in the fence. I’m doing everything I can to cool them off inside but I’d still really want them to go outside. Any cheap interim solution for that? Even if I have to supervise them because he have plenty of predators! I just want them to dig in the moist dirt before they are 12 weeks old! Thanks for any advice!!!

Hello all! Our coop in inside a barn and it easily reaches 95 in there during the day, we bought an electric fence because outside in the shade is much cooler but I just learned they have to be about 12 weeks to not squeeze through the holes in the fence. I’m doing everything I can to cool them off inside but I’d still really want them to go outside. Any cheap interim solution for that? Even if I have to supervise them because he have plenty of predators! I just want them to dig in the moist dirt before they are 12 weeks old! Thanks for any advice!!!
Can you erect a simple chicken wire fence just inside the electric fence?
Are you using netting for the electric fence?
One pop to the comb on one bird and they will avoid the fence. The others will learn from the one that takes one for the team... just sayin'.

Sounds like some chicken babysitting in your future. I watch my full grown hens when they are out of the run. Like you said, too many predators. They may not get it every day but they enjoy it when they do get out.

Can you erect a simple chicken wire fence just inside the electric fence?
Are you using netting for the electric fence?
One pop to the comb on one bird and they will avoid the fence. The others will learn from the one that takes one for the team... just sayin'.
Yes netting but the chicken wire is an idea! I thought that they would avoid the fence too even if they would technically fit through it but the customer service lady at premier one said they have to be 12weeks ish (they are 4 right now). Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like some chicken babysitting in your future. I watch my full grown hens when they are out of the run. Like you said, too many predators. They may not get it every day but they enjoy it when they do get out.
Oh nooo! 😂😂😂 I didn’t plan on chicken babysitting I have kids of my own to babysit haha!

This is the ONLY thing chicken wire is good for LOL.
I would tell you a good thing to do for them right away, get save a chick electrolytes and make it up. (mix with water) Chickens are stupid and afraid to do anything. What a bunch of "chickens" . They will not want to drink it so makes some mash with it. They will eat the chick crumble mash with the electrolytes and only then they will drink the electrolyte water. They are worse than any little Kids I know.
If your chicks are heat stressed this will help so much.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MI2LPhsrzS6gIVx8DACh1FWAViEAQYASABEgIUmPD_BwE

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI2LPhsrzS6gIVx8DACh1FWAViEAAYASAAEgIXEPD_BwE

What type of ventilation do you have? What type of roof? You can get a solar fan to install but it sounds like you need to fortify the insulation properties in your roof. I live in Central valley CA, where we have 103- 107 regularly. My coop has full perimeter open air venting with wire mesh to keep predators out. We went ahead and used roof tile that is light grey to help reflect sun off the roof. We did the same for the laying box cover. It stays 76- 80 no matter how hot it is outside. Add ice to their water. Give them frozen watermelon and corn. Maybe close the door of the coop in the evening and open the laying box for an hour to let the hot air out. Heat rises so vent towards the roof on at least 2 sides so a cross breeze vents the hot air.

Temporary (twice daily for me right now) I put frozen bottles of water in the corner of the coop spread out about a foot apart.

They will stand on them and lay around them.

I use whatever bottles have a tight lid and in various sizes so I can fit in spots in the freezer. I rinse them off if they get poopy and just double bag them in grocery bags before putting them in the freezer.

I also get frozen veggies or spinach and give it as a treat in the afternoon. They eat it as it thaws.

If the ice maker is keeping up I put a giant cup of ice in their waterer. It melts quickly but cools the water for them.

I don’t know if any of that will help, but might be something till they can get outside.
A7652297-5F01-4868-A0C5-CB506B32CFF8.jpeg

Oh nooo! 😂😂😂 I didn’t plan on chicken babysitting I have kids of my own to babysit haha!

I love chicken babysitting.

Nothing better than sitting on the porch, and watching non-stop live. chicken entertainment.

However, my daytime porch relaxation is on hold While the weather is scorching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom