Help! Could this be Marek's?

hencrazy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
I had a 5 week old wyandotte bantam who was not growing at all. He was eating and drinking fine (possibly drinking a little more than normal). A few days ago he was run over by the rest of the flock when they got spooked. At first it just seemed like one leg was bothering him - I thought maybe it was dislocated. He could stand but wouldn't use that leg and sometimes he would fall over. He continued to get worse and couldn't walk at all. Started pulling out his fuzz (he never got any feathers). The whole time he continued to eat and drink.

Today I had to euthanize him because I was pretty sure he wasn't going to get any better. Now that I think about it though, I'm a little paranoid that this may not have been an injury. The morning of the day this happened he was fine, but when I came home that day and went to check on the chicks they got spooked and all went running and that's when I saw him laying there struggling on his side. I didn't see him right before he was run over so I don't know if this was the result of an injury or not. When I would pick him up and put my finger by his feet he would curl his toes around my finger - not a very strong hold but he could do it. He could also move him legs and wings but his legs seemed stiff - like he could move them at the hips but that was it.

I'm sorry this is so long and I hope it makes sense. I'm really worried about the rest of my birds even though they all seem fine. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Sorry your little guy had to be put down. Marek's doesn't usually strike in birds under six weeks old. Sounds like most likely a muscular injury that led to a secondary infection.

So my other chickens should be fine? I have someone who wants to buy a few and I don't want to sell them sick chicks.

Quote:
I disagree, I have 3 week old chicks that is going through Marek's right now. They are dying off one by one.

So sorry for your fuzz baby though. Be sure and watch the rest.

Quote:
I disagree, I have 3 week old chicks that is going through Marek's right now. They are dying off one by one.

So sorry for your fuzz baby though. Be sure and watch the rest.

are you sure it is mareks did you do a necropsy? I only say this cause I have been in full battle mode with Mareks for months now but it only jhits my birds at the 5 month stage. my young ones are fine and then they hit that age and here we go again
sad.png

I am sure mareks can effect a younger chick but it is not as common, personally I would wait and see if any others are effected.

where did you get the chicks were they vaccinated?

The chicks came from Ideal. I did not have them vaccinated because they told me it was not recommended for small flocks.

the fact that this one never developed as fast makes me think that it had some sort of problem to begin with, monitor the others and see but I dont really think you have mareks at least I hope you dont.

Makes me feel a little better knowing that you guys don't think it's Mareks. They will have to go outside in about 1-2 weeks and they will be next to my adults - I know - bad idea - but I have nowhere else to put them.

Off topic, but should I deworm the chicks - when, with what, and how?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom