Help! Coyotes.

Pics

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
My flock is free range during the day, and a coyote family keeps running out in our FRONT YARD when our chickens come outside the coop to try and snatch them. They have taken 5 already and almost got one today. (They grabbed her tail feathers, but she got away missing a few.) what do I do? If I leave my chickens up in the coop together, the roosters will probably kill each other, and the hens will squabble because they’re used to having their own space. I have no extra space really to separate anyone because my 4mo chicks are taking up a pen. and don’t have the heart to shoot a coyote, and also don’t have any traps big enough for them. There’s really no solution. They killed my neighbors 30 chicken flock. Every one of them. Now they’re coming after mine. Side note, we live on 50 acres.

I know its pricey but what about electric poultry fencing?
I am investing in it this year so my free range chickens are confined while we go on vacation for a week. It's going to cost me 500.00 plus for the entire set up.
But I will rest easy.
I have 3 guardian dogs that do a good job keeping chicken eating critters away otherwise, but while we are gone dogs will go to kennel.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit

Coyotes figured out easy source of food. They already killed your neighbors flock and are moving onto yours. You don’t want to make temporary arrangements until coyotes get discouraged and move on and you don’t want to protect your flock which are most likely terrified at this point. When you own animals that depend on you, you have obligation to provide and protect them and it seems to me that at the moment with all do respect you are not willing to do neither. Forgive me but what is it exactly you are asking for???

I know its pricey but what about electric poultry fencing?
I am investing in it this year so my free range chickens are confined while we go on vacation for a week. It's going to cost me 500.00 plus for the entire set up.
But I will rest easy.
I have 3 guardian dogs that do a good job keeping chicken eating critters away otherwise, but while we are gone dogs will go to kennel.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit
I am on a really tight budget right now and we have about 50 acres and they free range like 30 of it.. It would be hard to fence all in and be above my budget right now

Coyotes figured out easy source of food. They already killed your neighbors flock and are moving onto yours. You don’t want to make temporary arrangements until coyotes get discouraged and move on and you don’t want to protect your flock which are most likely terrified at this point. When you own animals that depend on you, you have obligation to provide and protect them and it seems to me that at the moment with all do respect you are not willing to do neither. Forgive me but what is it exactly you are asking for???
I keep my chickens in their coop at night I’m just asking what I need to do. Should I leave it be? Should I keep them in the coop? If so for how long? Should I try to shoot coyotes or something? I love my chickens their like my pets.. I just need an opinion if I should keep them locked up. Their used to free range so when I try they always pull each others feathers out because they want out.

Back
Top Bottom