Help! Created a monster (roo)!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
'k, so my light brahma roo is spoiled. Totally my fault and I accept the blame. He's really been sowing his wild oats lately...running around trying to mate the hens, spreading his wings and crowing non-stop, etc. But he's developed one habit that worries me. He climbs into my lap for pets and won't allow any of the other chickens near me. Even if he's not in my lap he will go after any of the others that he sees getting close to me. He even made angry noises at my SO when he sat down next to me yesterday. The roo is almost 13 weeks old. Is he going thru a stage? Will he grow out of it or will I have to stop the spoiling till he learns?

I guess he really likes you.
tongue.png
I don't know if this will help, but maybe you should separate him and let the others come to you and pet them, but have the rooster be able to see you. That way I guess he'll understand that he's not the only that needs/gets to be petted.
smile.png

My guess is that he sees you as a part of the flock, and that you are a part of his little harem. How does it feel to be a hen?

You should assert yourself with him and show him you are the dominant person in the flock and not a hen, either. This will only get worse.

I 100% agree with Lammie! Assert your dominance NOW or it will most definitely get worse. Pick up the girls and show him that you can carry them around. You also should feed the girls FIRST - pick HIM up, feed the girls treats, and once they've all gotten some, THEN allow him to eat. He needs to understand that YOU are the boss in charge of everything. It's great to spoil them, don't get me wrong. But this could lead to a dangerous situation. GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote:
Well he's gonna be awful heartbroken when he finds out I don't lay eggs!
gig.gif

Seriouly though, I'll try to keep y'alls imput in mind as I learn to be firm with him. I definitely don't want him turning mean. This is gonna be hard. :|

Back
Top Bottom