Help !!Day 20 - egg stopped wiggling

sad.png

Nitin Kumar, how are yours doing?
Hi,

I have a sad new. All three of the eggs died. I did eggtopsy and this is what I found. They haven't piped internally. None of them. They were wiggling a lot that means that they were trying to break the inner membrane but were not able to . I would like to know what are the possible reason? Could it be the humidity? as you can see below the membrane looks dryish. The head was still under the wing and the the chick was inside the inner membrane intact. What could have gone wrong?

Hi,

I have a sad new. All three of the eggs died. I did eggtopsy and this is what I found. They haven't piped internally. None of them. They were wiggling a lot that means that they were trying to break the inner membrane but were not able to . I would like to know what are the possible reason? Could it be the humidity? as you can see below the membrane looks dryish. The head was still under the wing and the the chick was inside the inner membrane intact. What could have gone wrong?

they got cold/ or too much water.- if you had tried to help you still could not have saved them they quit developing by day 17 or so. I am sorry, you only had the three? what incubator?

Sometimes you got to let the lord do his work. I think you did all that you could do and it was not your fault. I been reading about temp vs humidity and a well known turkey breeder suggests that for the last few days (lock down) you should drive your humidity up to 80% but to lower the temps down a degree or two.
His breeder claims that more chicks are killed by excess heat with increased humidty/
I know that our summers here in central PA are humidty killers here.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/egghatchingtips.htm

Last edited:
they got cold/ or too much water.- if you had tried to help you still could not have saved them they quit developing by day 17 or so. I am sorry, you only had the three? what incubator?
How can you tell it was cold or too much water. In teh above pic where I am holding the eggs you can clearly see its kinda dry. This is my first hatch and its a homemade incubator, I am assuming that it was low humidity and the membrane got dried up and chick wasn't able to break the air sac. And I remember the egg wiggling on day 18. The black one which was quiet big stopped on day 18 while the yellow one kept wiggling until day 21 then stopped. Whats your say now. And I just calibrated my hygrometer ( so stupid of me, could have done earlier) and humidity difference is about 4% - 5%. It shows 4% - 5% more then actual humidity. Will that be a factor?

There are a number of possible causes for this. Humidity could have been a factor, yes, temperature could have been a factor too. Maybe the cause was neither? It's hard to tell accurately from the pics. Can you tell us what the humidity was in the incubator and the temperature?

May I suggest you try again?? With a little trial and error you will discover what works for you. I remember the feeling of angst when only half my eggs hatched the first time. I do better now as I have a better hatch rate.

I keep info like humidity and temps; turn 3-5 times a day. Mine spiked to 104 the other day-- I will go with it until the end and see if any lasting damage results.

How I manage during the winter months is different than the summer months. Many factors go into a successful hatch. My winters are very dry-- running 16% humidity but the eggs are big and the temps are running on the warm side so I suspect these might hatch early and so need the lesser water content by day 19-20. In the summer the humidity gets to 35% in the incubator. ( I don't worry too much about calibrating the thingy-- the eggs tell me if the humidity is right; I dry hatch and rarely add a bit of water in the winter months; and never in the summer months. )

Humidity-- I track this but more importantly I look at the air cell size. It really needs to be very large by day 18 lockdown. IF not, I don't add water until it is large enough. OTherwise the chicks is too moist to hatch correctly ( filled with water)

So hope you will try again, take what have learned, or suspect in this trial run, and try again. You might not know right now what went wrong but in a few more hatches I bet you will know.

I am at day 20 and my eggs moved just a tiny bit. Now they stopped and I have no external pips yet. I don't what they are doing but i'm sure they are fine :)

Back
Top Bottom