1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help !!Day 20 - egg stopped wiggling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nitin Kumar, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Nitin Kumar

Nitin Kumar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Hello everyone,

This is my first hatch and I have two eggs left. On day 18 they started wiggling a lot and I was kinda excited. Now its day 20 and one of the egg have stopped moving at all. Is this normal? while another once wiggles once in a while.

Guys please tell me if this is normal or if my baby died inside? Thank you in advanced. I can't sleep anymore.

2. Nitin Kumar

Jan 30, 2014
    P.S - Both eggs were set on 23 and one of them has been constantly moving since day 18 another wiggled until day 19 and have stopped since then. Is it getting ready to hatch or is it dead by now? Should I help him or what?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    they are fine- the egg gets more crowded and the chic cannot move as much. then you will see a pip where the chick pecked through the shell-then the egg will get still again because it is getting used to our air- and absorbing the yolk which can take another 24 hrs. don't stress and the pip doen't mean the chick is ready to hatch- it just wants air.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    by the way- my day 20 starts this evening- I din't see them wiggle- but I did hear a peep.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    please don't help.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's hard to say. I've had eggs quietly hatch with no sign of life until the chick started opening the shell. Others have wiggled and cheeped and went quiet and hatched. What I do when I'm unsure about an egg (usually for overdue eggs) is take the eggs and hold them against my ear and tap them softly with my fingernail. If there is a live chick in there it will tell you all about it! Just make sure you work quickly and don't let the eggs chill or the humidity in the incubator drop too much while you're busy. Fingers crossed!

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    these are not late though- not till day 22 the egg is on day 20

8. Nitin Kumar

Jan 30, 2014
    Okay. But one of the egg has been constantly shaking since day 18 up till right now whereas they started wiggling at the same time. One has no movement at all and another is having a party inside coz its moving a lot ..as in a lot.....

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    this is a good thing it's moving.

10. Nitin Kumar

Jan 30, 2014
    Yes, but I am concerned about the other one. It stopped moving on day 19. What do you think possibly happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by