Help! Day 21 of quail eggs. Still nothing

FloorCandy

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Did you test the temps with separate thermometers? The incubator display temps are often inaccurate. Also I think 102 is too high, perhaps someone else can chime in.

if they were all developing and stopped early, my guess is that incubator conditions are to blame. If most show no development at all, shipping or breederstock/conditions are probably to blame.

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Premium Feather Member
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Did you test the temps with separate thermometers? The incubator display temps are often inaccurate. Also I think 102 is too high, perhaps someone else can chime in.

if they were all developing and stopped early, my guess is that incubator conditions are to blame. If most show no development at all, shipping or breederstock/conditions are probably to blame.
Bad breeding stock can cause early quitters that are only half developed. 102 is the max temp, if it doesn’t stay there consistently it’s fine.

Dee Clyne

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Okay so we went threw all the eggs and found seven that might be okay but we didn't see any movement. The rest looked like they develop for a week then stopped. Not sure why or if these seven are still viable. Waiting till the morning, if nothing then probably lost them ☹

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Premium Feather Member
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Okay so we went threw all the eggs and found seven that might be okay but we didn't see any movement. The rest looked like they develop for a week then stopped. Not sure why or if these seven are still viable. Waiting till the morning, if nothing then probably lost them ☹
Did you open them??? Or just candle them. Honestly I would assist because they’ve been sitting in the egg way to long.

Are any internally pipped?

Dee Clyne

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
We opened the ones that were clearly not developed. The seven i did poke hole in the air sac to help. As far as we can tell there was no pokes in the internal

Dee Clyne

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
This is my first time so I don't feel comfortable taking them out if they have any chance of doing it on there own. Sorry. At the beginning of the incubation the thermostat we were using was having issues with big fluxes, we changed to the new one and it's ran fine but we think thats what went wrong. We are going to try one more time and hopefully get it right this time...I don't have much hope for the seven. They showed no indication of life when we candled them...any suggestions for the new batch would be appreciated to not repeat this 😞

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Premium Feather Member
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
This is my first time so I don't feel comfortable taking them out if they have any chance of doing it on there own. Sorry. At the beginning of the incubation the thermostat we were using was having issues with big fluxes, we changed to the new one and it's ran fine but we think thats what went wrong. We are going to try one more time and hopefully get it right this time...I don't have much hope for the seven. They showed no indication of life when we candled them...any suggestions for the new batch would be appreciated to not repeat this 😞
The reason why I am telling you that you need to assist is because they are way past the point of hatching on their own. They will suffocate or drown at this point.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this :hugs

Good luck with everything

Dee Clyne

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
The next batch is on it way so hopefully they hatch the end of the first week of September... I'll try helping them out but they weren't responsive, possibly not even fully formed. They just looked more formed then the others.

Top Bottom