Help! day 23 and a chirping egg PICS ADDED!

Quote:
I've got some pictures although they aren't very good since they are in the brooder box! I'll try to figure out why my iphoto isn't loading properly later. The white chick is now able to stay upright! It kind of wobbles around but not enough to get to it's food or water so that is a concern. I've been dipping her beak in gatorade. Last night it pecked a little. I may try to find that gel chick start stuff or something like that. I made a donut out of a paper towel and put the chick with it's bandaid shoe in it and after a couple hours she was able to stay up right. She was chirping with her brooder made last night. The white chick is in a box within the brooder as the brown chick was pecking at it's shoe!

The brown chick has normal looking poop stuck to it's butt so I've been wiping that off. Why is that happening? Can I do something? It is eating and drinking. I opted for non-medicated feed, but switched to medicated after this big ordeal.

Thanks for checking in!

You may have a little pasty butt. Warm water and q-tips to wipe it off, and some olive oil on the vent area will help prevent this.....

I just started reading this forum this week and I knew I was getting hooked on chickens when this is the first place I went online this morning. I just HAD to see if this little chick made it through the night. You have done a great job with it. From what I have been reading, I think the other chick may need some grit, but let the experienced ones tell you that for sure.

Probably pasty butt... KEEP it CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN...
I had a problem with some of my shipped chicks...
If it stays dried on there it can "compact" them... (poop can't come out).

Warm wash cloth a few times a day... I have also read people putting a little olive oil to keep it from sticking as bad... ( I just kept it clean).

As for the little white chick... think how far it has come in a day... should improve more as the day goes on.

You are a good momma
smile.png

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I have grit!!!!!! Will add some, although it seems big for this little babe!

I'm feeling like these two little chicks are community chickens.
smile.png

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I just had a guinea keet with curled toes hatch yesterday after a long hard hatch. I made him some "Beakinstocks" - flat piece of cardboard with tape around it and this morning it was walking well enough to be with his buddies. One shoe is still on. The other came off but it was an AMAZING improvement. I did that day one. The pipecleaner method didn't work for me - too small.

I can't wait to see a picture!

41723_white_chick_day_2.jpg

[/img] Miracle white chick

How can I perk this baby up? It doesn't go to the water by itself and is very wobbly. One leg is still a little ahead of the other and it's eyes are squinty most of the time. The other one didn't eat till the third day. Do I keep waiting?

41723_brown_chick1.jpg
41723_brown_chick_2.jpg

brown chicky

Last edited:
I have a silkie who sounds much like your little one<3 I made a shoe out of a smal piece of pipe cleaner bent into a W shape ,placed under her entire foot,smoothed it out gently so her toes uncurled and taped with medical tape..She hobbled along a bit, every few days I changed the tape and it took about a week until she could walk right and she now has beautiful feet, Id also maybe give some polyvisol or acv in her water..we dealt with wry neck after getting ehr foot squared away...fun times- she is the runt of my flock but so rewarding when we can make a difference

eek just saw the pic!!! She could be the twin to mine lol!matted feathers and all

Quote:
If there were a like button, I would like your post! So glad chicks make it through this! I saw the "W" pipe cleaner instructions. This one has so many toes I don't know how I would make them fit on a W!!!!! I'm worried that when I change the bandaid it's going to pull those sweet foot feathers. What did you do?

Back
Top Bottom