Help! day 23 and a chirping egg PICS ADDED!

Sorry didn't me to come across too strong!
hide.gif

I've been told not to tag on other posts before and rather unkindly! Please let us know how your hatch goes and good luck!
big_smile.png

I agree. I'm the op and if it weren't for the helpful people here I wouldn't have learned so much. From what I've read, your chicks sound great. My one original hatchling, (my first time, too), pipped at the beginning of day 21 and didn't hatch till evening. It's totally fine and feisty now at a couple days old.

Quote:
How is the one from last night??? I feel I have a vested interest in the well being of that chick!
tongue.png

Okay. Fluffed up and really cute- white silkie. It's one leg has curled toes and isn't splayed, but sort of sits ahead of the normal looking leg. It was always on it's side. I've been dipping it's beak in gatorade as someone suggested and it seems to like that! It can't get around well enough to get to the water on its own. I made a chicken shoe out of two band aids for the curled toes. Couldn't get them perfect, but at least better. It was still flopping over so I made a "donut" with a rolled up paper towel and sat the chick in an upright position in that for an hour or two. I'm so tired at this point I'm losing track of time! I just took it out to give it water and it is upright! Still sitting on it's butt rather than feet, bu moving in the right direction. The shoe leg is still held a little in front of the other but I'll wait and see how it is in the am. It can't get out of the donut itself so I'll take it back out in a few before I go to bed. It tried pecking at food, I think. It pecked at something!

Will it be alright over night if it can't get to the water?

It's chirpy and it's brooder mate is very talkative with it. I have then separated in the same big box now. So loud!

Thanks for checking in!

Quote:
How is the one from last night??? I feel I have a vested interest in the well being of that chick!
tongue.png

Okay. Fluffed up and really cute- white silkie. It's one leg has curled toes and isn't splayed, but sort of sits ahead of the normal looking leg. It was always on it's side. I've been dipping it's beak in gatorade as someone suggested and it seems to like that! It can't get around well enough to get to the water on its own. I made a chicken shoe out of two band aids for the curled toes. Couldn't get them perfect, but at least better. It was still flopping over so I made a "donut" with a rolled up paper towel and sat the chick in an upright position in that for an hour or two. I'm so tired at this point I'm losing track of time! I just took it out to give it water and it is upright! Still sitting on it's butt rather than feet, bu moving in the right direction. The shoe leg is still held a little in front of the other but I'll wait and see how it is in the am. It can't get out of the donut itself so I'll take it back out in a few before I go to bed. It tried pecking at food, I think. It pecked at something!

Will it be alright over night if it can't get to the water?

It's chirpy and it's brooder mate is very talkative with it. I have then separated in the same big box now. So loud!

Thanks for checking in!

Silkies are S L O W learners!!! I am soooo HAPPY to hear it is doing well. Oh my gosh, you are my first online assist and I am just thrilled!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

So, I have just read all through this post and having been through it twice, once with a Silkie and then an Orp, you have done a great job. Yes, it is nerve racking, but always stay calm, lots of warm water, q-tips etc and all goes well. We did ours with Bat Cave Silkies and Hen Thymes no the cell phone - thank God for unlimited minutes, both hatched out ok, left them for hours in the incubator to dry out and settle them selves.

Chicks are hardy critters, just leave them to rest after they have been assisted out and they will be fine.

Would I be able to do it again, and help someone - YES! We got helped and now I'd be able to assist someone else, even if they were local to the point of visiting to help.... That's what BYCer's do...

Quote:
I've got some pictures although they aren't very good since they are in the brooder box! I'll try to figure out why my iphoto isn't loading properly later. The white chick is now able to stay upright! It kind of wobbles around but not enough to get to it's food or water so that is a concern. I've been dipping her beak in gatorade. Last night it pecked a little. I may try to find that gel chick start stuff or something like that. I made a donut out of a paper towel and put the chick with it's bandaid shoe in it and after a couple hours she was able to stay up right. She was chirping with her brooder made last night. The white chick is in a box within the brooder as the brown chick was pecking at it's shoe!

The brown chick has normal looking poop stuck to it's butt so I've been wiping that off. Why is that happening? Can I do something? It is eating and drinking. I opted for non-medicated feed, but switched to medicated after this big ordeal.

Thanks for checking in!

Back
Top Bottom