1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Day 8 in Incubator and Think Something Could be Wrong!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JennyPatty84, Feb 25, 2017.

1. JennyPatty84

JennyPatty84 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Help! I have looked online but can't find any info on this! My eggs are at Day 8 in the incubator and when I candled them there is one questionable egg. The clear area is running vertically rather than it just being clear where the air sac is like. Is this a bad sign?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It's probably fine as long as you're still seeing veining and the embryo on the other side. It takes longer than eight days for the vitelline membrane to surround the whole egg so it can look like that until that happens.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Duck eggs, some of them looked like that too.....All 10 hatched out great....

Cheers!

4. JennyPatty84

Sep 6, 2016
    Thanks so much for the comments! I have great news, I candled the egg again tonight and it's looking normal and I can see movement! :D :D

5. morgam23

morgam23 Just Hatched

What breed of duck eggs are you incubating?

I am currently doing muscovy. The first batch is in their 14th day whilst the second batch is in their 5th day.

6. JennyPatty84

Sep 6, 2016

Oh that's so exciting! Hopefully it's going well!! Mine are actually ameracauna eggs! And the one in the picture I sent is moving around like crazy now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by