Help deciding on a breed.....

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
I am thinking about getting a few chickens and I have been looking at so many breeds I don't know what to choose anymore. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?

I am looking for good layers, a friendly temperament, nice coloring, good in cold weather, not too noisy. I have three standard babies right now so I think any new additions might have to be standard size.

I know the temperament will have a lot to do with how much time I spend with them but I read that some breeds tend to be not as friendly. I do plan to spend a good amount of time with them.

Can anyone help me narrow down my search? I am not sure when or if anytime soon, I might get more but I have one roo and two hens right now (I think thats what they are so far) and I know I will need more hens if I keep them.

I did a lot of research before I got my flock, and everything pointed to buff orpingtons. They are a very pretty blonde color, docile, friendly, not real skittish, and a good egg layer.

I would have to agree with what has been said already; Buff Orpingtons make wonderful, friendly pets, they're very pretty, have sweet and easy-going dispositions, and from my personal experience with my hens I would have to say that they are indeed good layers, and definitely outshine my wyandottes in the egg-laying department.

I'm also trying to build the perfect flock. I've decided to go with a very mixed flock for now. I figure I'll start with these, and then see if one particular breed appeals to me after I get to know them in person. My general criteria are similar to yours -- reasonable layers, nice to look at, friendly, hardy. I also want a range of egg colors, just because it's fun, and I'm concentrating on the breeds that produce relatively large eggs. I also tried to include a couple that would lay relatively well during the winter.

My current list (ever-changing) is as follows -- I intend to get one or two of each:

copper black Marans (pullet)
Welsummer (pullet)
barred rock (pullet)
gold-laced wyandotte (pullet)
silver-laced wyandotte (pullet)
black Australorp (pullet)
Rhode Island Red (pullet)
speckled Sussex (pullet)
partridge frizzle bantam cochin roo or Welsummer roo
EEs (pullets)

Good layers even in winter & pet friendly!

yippiechickie.gif

Brahma
Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Sussex

I've gotta vouch for the speckled sussex, and brahmas. they're very mellow, lay nice brown eggs, and pretty friendly if you have the time to spend with them. as a bonus... they're beautiful! lol

Thanks for the suggestions!

I read up on them and someday I would like to get Buff Orp, Brahma, Austrolorp and Speckled Sussex pullets.

Anyone know if they are okay breeds for keeping in coops or do they not tolerate that well and prefer free range?

I was also looking at cochins. I read that they are not the greatest egg layers but I was thinking of adding one or two of them for fun.

Back
Top Bottom