Help developing a recipe

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I've been playing with an idea of something I think will taste fabulous... but how to make it work?!

I want to make a pie, maybe an cold serving type.

I'd like it to have blackberries & ricotta cheese in the mix. I haven't decided on a crust yet.

Should I try to approach this like a cheese cake, or not? Maybe do this as a baked pie, chilled pie or a no bake pie?

So many ideas... would love some input before I go run to the store and try to put this together. :D

I've eaten some really good pie with a cheesecake-like thin layer on the bottom and then raw fresh fruit and then whipped cream. The cheese cake layer was soft, not like a regular baked cheese cake.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe. The pie was a best seller for a restaurant and the recipe was a closely guarded secret.

The fruit had a binder to hold it together. When I do a fresh fruit pie I use Jello, half the water, and just use a very thin layer on the fruit. Just enough to hold the fruit together which means that the whole box of jello doesn't get used.

I've eaten some really good pie with a cheesecake-like thin layer on the bottom and then raw fresh fruit and then whipped cream. The cheese cake layer was soft, not like a regular baked cheese cake.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe. The pie was a best seller for a restaurant and the recipe was a closely guarded secret.

The fruit had a binder to hold it together. When I do a fresh fruit pie I use Jello, half the water, and just use a very thin layer on the fruit. Just enough to hold the fruit together which means that the whole box of jello doesn't get used.

Say that again?? lol
If you make, saaay, strawberry or mixed berry pie??... you take a box of jello and mix it with half the water and coat the fruit with that mixture??
Or do you just sprinkle the dry jello mix over the fruit??
This sounds like a great idea!!

You take the small size box of Jello. It calls for 2 cups of water. Instead you dissolve it with only one cup of water. (1/2 the water called for)

Then you dribble just enough of it over the fruit to barely coat the fruit. After it sets, it holds the fruit all together. You can pile the fruit really high and you can slice it with no problems.

It's heavenly with graham cracker crust, fresh strawberries, strawberry Jello, and mounds of whip cream.

Just take the extra Jello and pour it out on a cookie sheet and let it set. Cut it up and you have wigglers. Don't use any more Jello on the fruit than you absolutely must, because you want the pie to taste like fresh fruit, not like Jello.

You can also do this with frozen whole fruit (not sugared). With frozen, I just dump it into the hot Jello and it thaws the fruit but doesn't cook it. With fresh fruit, you have to cool the Jello for just a bit before you put the fruit in.

You take the small size box of Jello. It calls for 2 cups of water. Instead you dissolve it with only one cup of water. (1/2 the water called for)

Then you dribble just enough of it over the fruit to barely coat the fruit.  After it sets, it holds the fruit all together. You can pile the fruit really high and you can slice it with no problems.

It's heavenly with graham cracker crust, fresh strawberries, strawberry Jello, and mounds of whip cream.

Just take the extra Jello and pour it out on a cookie sheet and let it set. Cut it up and you have wigglers. Don't use any more Jello on the fruit than you absolutely must, because you want the pie to taste like fresh fruit, not like Jello.

You can also do this with frozen whole fruit (not sugared).  With frozen, I just dump it into the hot Jello and it thaws the fruit but doesn't cook it. With fresh fruit, you have to cool the Jello for just a bit before you put the fruit in.

Thanks so much for the info!! I for sure will be doing this the next time I make fruit pie!

Back
Top Bottom