Help diagnose my neighbor's chicken

I'm new at chickens, so I can't help other than to say that herbal treatments are questionable if the chicken needs antibiotics. There are several threads on here that give details about types and doses of antibiotics. Do a search.

Also, cajunlizz is right - there are agencies out there to prevent animal abuse (cruelty and neglect). You need to report your neighbors if they refuse to take proper care of their animals. I report all the time. It makes me nervous to do it, but in the long run I know it's the right thing to do.

yes I know I should but it is making me nervous. The only one who ever takes care of them is their 11 year old son. He's tried to convince his parents to take them to a vet or something but from what he told me, all they said was "Its just a stupid chicken." We do have a humane society in a town close by but I don't know if they'll take chickens.

Quote:
Sorry , I lost track of her symtoms , PLEASE refresh my memory , I got
D.gif
ON the BRAIN , or at times CRS ( can't remember Sh_ _ )

Last edited:
If your humane society doesn't deal with "livestock," they should be able to tell you who does. If you tell them about the cat, they will respond and maybe find the chickens suffering.

Quote:
WELL , regardless , I would advise your neighbors of her condition and PRE - WARN them , either they do the right thng towards the animals or you will do one of 2 times , KEEP the chickens for yourself , OR REPORT them to animal cruelty and they can PAY THE PRICE and still have them removed .
Sorry , but only way to POST THIS , saying the way I feel . THIS PISSES ME OFF :mad: :mad: . I run outdoors in the rain to check and see if my chickens have all gone under coop and OUT of the rain . HUBBY said I need to stock up now on very warm clothes for our so called winters and GOOD RUBBER BOOTS , said I would be MORE OUTSIDE then in the house . HE HAS THAT RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif

Thats a great idea! Even though the mom isn't starving or anything but I bet she will soon. My other neighbor thats closer to us found two of her kittens sleeping on her back porch the other morning. The mom was hanging around with one of the other kittens. They're at that age where they want to explore. But that is a great idea.

cajunlizz, compared to the other chickens, she doesn't scratch the ground. she just stand there with her head, and tail down most of the time. She eats and drinks. I haven't had a chance to look at her poo but I will tonight. When she walks she flaps her wings or holds them out i guess for balance? and her tail is fluffed out when she walks too. I dont' know if this will have anything to do with it but when she sits, her tail is high in the hair and she leans forward a bit. Sometimes she'll sit with her legs out to the side. A couple times I've seen her cough up mucus but not very often. I'll update if i find anything else.

Quote:
CALL animal control they will tell you all you need to know .

I know I had to file charges against A NEIGHBOR THAT HAD STOLEN 6 OF MY CHICKS AND i GOT ALL BACK BUT 1 And I called the animal Control and they PRESSED CHARGES against the people for having that 1 CHICK locked up all day , NO food , no water , in 95º temp. SO , that might be the correct route to GO .

Last edited:
I understand but I am only 15. I just don't want to hurt my relationship with their son because he looks up to me like a brother. But then again.... if he really loves animals he should understand.

Is there any way your parents, or some other adult, could help you handle this? It is not an easy situation for an adult, and really hard for someone who is 15. Do you have another neighbor who could just happen to drop by and see the mess and talk to your negligent neighbor?

If you can't get help, I'm pretty sure that if you talked to your 11-year-old friend and explained in advance what you want to do and why, he will understand.

Please keep posting.

Back
Top Bottom