Help diagnose my neighbor's chicken

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
My neighbors who have three chickens have a problem with one of them. I was incharge of taking care of them while they were gone so I thought now would be a good time to ask. I'm not sure of the breed but I think it could be a Red Sex Link, Production Red, or mutt. Apparently the owners don't notice and dont' care as long as they get the eggs. Not sure about the age but it is laying and laying well right now. She is losing weight and walks weird. Compared to the other two she doesn't scratch the ground and just stands there with her tail kind of drooping down and her wings are hanging down by her legs. When she wants to walk she first flaps her wings fast i guess to give her a lift off? Also, I've only seen this a couple times, but she coughs up some mucusy stuff. She is still laying normally, eats, drinks, takes dust baths, but the other day when i went to feed and water them she was laying on her side. Is this spraddle leg? or some problem with the hip? She is losing weight too which worries me. Please help! I hate seeing her suffer
sad.png

Also about her tail, when she walks, the feathers are all puffed and spread out into a triangular shape instead of flat together.

Last edited:
ok but the owners don't really buy any medications for their animals. They don't even fix there cat :mad: But my mom does have herbs that we could use. Would these be sufficient? They're bitter but thats all I've got.
hmm.png

I suggest if they going to hav e animals they care for them properly or its cruelty to animals , JUST like CPS for Chicldren . These are helpless animals and depending on adults to do the right thing by them .

Antibotics is needed or he will DIE. PLENTY of food and water and ALOT of TLC .

ok, i know that I said the herbs "should" be ok for them but I just want to make sure these are not toxic to them: Wild Cherry Bark, Bilberry, Wild Rose Hips. This is a liquid combination. We get these from Nature's Sunshine/Pure Herbs, LTD. Are these plant toxic to chickens? I take it all the time, but chickens are different than humans (physically anyway
roll.png
) so I just want to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom