HELP!!!!! did eggtopsy and its still alive!!!!! *sad update*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenrandomness, May 24, 2011.

1. i'm getting very worried!!!! there isn't any reason why it should take this long to hatch! if it hatched yesterday i would understand (today is day 23) i mean, the first day the temp was only a few degress below normal temp.

would it hurt to my a hole for it? or will it end in neck muscles not being strong enough?
    when candled, it looks the exact same as it did on day 20.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Candle and see if it's pipped through the air sac yet.

If so, then yes. Just a small hole in the air sac so the chick won't be running low on air.

Any noises or movement from it?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have tried a lot of times to save a chick that couldn't hatch on its own. Unless they were too dried out and just needed to get unstuck, it never worked.

4. Quote:how do i see if it piped through the air sack?

5. Quote:theres always a first [​IMG]

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    when you candle, you will see the beak pipped through in to the air sack at the large end of the egg.

I tap on the egg as I hold it to my ear. YOu can hear scratching and tapping back if it's alive.

By this point, if I heard nothing, I would poke a hole in the air sack end and chip away shell until I could see the chick clearly. You will be able to tell if it's still alive or not.

7. Quote:it hasn't piped through the airsack. and i didn't hear anything when i tapped it.

just trying to make sure i'm doing the right thing

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If it's day 23 and you don't hear any chirping or movement in the egg, it is probably dead already. What was the temp and humidity in your incubator during the incubation? Do you have a still air or a forced air?

9. Quote:its still air homemade.

my electronic therometer says it stayed at 99-100 aat all times (except when on day 1, it was around 96-97 then)

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What about humidity? If the humidity was low, it could have gotten stuck inside the egg before the hatch and just didn't make it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by