Help, do I assist or not yet??

RookyChickMama

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Texas
New momma here, this little guy pipped last night at 10pm. He has made a hole where his beak is sticking out , but that's it, no zipping. Do I assist or wait? He's been like this for a few hours.:rolleyes:

Since it's been more than 12 hours, you can probably chip away some more shell at the air-cell end and see how the membrane is looking in there. You could also just leave it be for another couple hours if you want. The main thing to is go slow with any assist. DO NOT RUSH the hatch. :)

I might just wait for a little but longer. If i do have to assist, what should I do to keep it moist since I would have to take it out?

New momma here, this little guy pipped last night at 10pm. He has made a hole where his beak is sticking out , but that's it, no zipping. Do I assist or wait? He's been like this for a few hours.
roll.png

Please note--zip can take way more than 12 hours--up to 24, it looks good, please leave it be--do not start chipping away you will only cause membrane to dry out and kill baby if he's not ready. My pips almost always take 12-20 hrs after pip--a lot is going on with him you can't see--vital stuff. Keep us posted!

I might just wait for a little but longer. If i do have to assist, what should I do to keep it moist since I would have to take it out?
Set it on a wet napkin or sponge (or something) and maybe even lightly cover it with a light-weight wet napkin. I'll give a "ditto" to the above about it sometimes taking much longer. I've had chicks pop out within 6 hours of a pip, and others after 24 hours. Each chick is different.

Thanks for tge advice! I left him alone and he finally hatched on his own! First time momma got a little worried lol. I'll post a pic!

Every time I've ever interfered with a struggling egg, it's ended up in heartbreak. I'm sure there's a right way to do it, but I just end up with dead chicks... and even though they probably were on their way out already, I feel like my meddling was responsible. In my experience, its easier to get over an egg that didn't hatch on its own than one that you screwed up by interfering with :(

Every time I've ever interfered with a struggling egg, it's ended up in heartbreak. I'm sure there's a right way to do it, but I just end up with dead chicks... and even though they probably were on their way out already, I feel like my meddling was responsible. In my experience, its easier to get over an egg that didn't hatch on its own than one that you screwed up by interfering with :(
Agreed, so very true!

Back
Top Bottom