HELP! Doe won't let newborn kids nurse!

I had my ginger last year that wouldn't let her babies nurse, we helped them by holding her, she kept pushing them away, but eventually got used to them nursing. she is a boer too, I think that since they are nursing a bit, that they will do fine.

I can't believe someone hasn't suggested hair spray yet. I once had to take care of a neighbors goat herd while they were on vacation. He was an older man, and failed to tell me that he had a goat due. Well she had two and rejected one.

I had to get a can of cheap hair spray, and spray the baby all over. Then spray the nose on the mother. It supposedly discombobulates the smell some sort of way and she should then accept it.

Dont know how accurate it is, but it worked.

ETA: His was boers too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I se that they are nursing now,so it is not so important to milk her.. but just having kids she is making milk, nontheless.. and the pressure has to hurt.. engorged , I think is the term used.. am I wrong here??

Some just dont know whats going on...if given time they adjust. Had 1 that didnt want hers so I made her nurse him 4 to 5 times a day and she finally took him...I think they are just scared and are confused ...New mommy jitters and its a screaming thing they dont know what it is and what to do with it. It just takes times sometimes. Also their udders get sore and thats the last thing they want...Glad she is finally taking them...Congrats...

Well, we got her to take the doeling last night, but the little buckling we are having to bottle feed. She left him last night and he was cold and limp this morning. So, we are giving him colostrum today and maybe tomorrow then kid milk afterwards.

we have had goats for a few years and so i asked my mom about this... here is what she said:

you should put the kids on a bottle quick.

and then we stood in the kitchen talking about it for a little bit.
hope this helps!
hmm.png

My friends keep goats as nannies for their bum lambs (meaning the goat is used to feed the orphan lambs). They put the lamb in 3x a day and hold the goat while the lamb nurses. They do the same thing with their baby goats, otherwise the babies live with the flock.

You should be able to hold mama or put her in a stanchion and let him nurse 3x a day and he should be OK.

The way they do it is much easier than milking and bottle feeding and I would be apt to try it over bottle feeding since mama is making enough milk. You have a free source of perfect, healthy milk for your baby, might as well use it!

Last edited:
I think she was like somebody said yesterday - she was relating the kids to pain. It hurt when she had them and it hurt when they tried to nurse. Plus they were crying loud and following her around trying to eat. So, that's understandable that she was acting that way since she's a first timer.

Thanks for all of your help! I'll try to get pictures of them today and post them.

Back
Top Bottom