HELP! Dog attack, two chickens dead, one very injured!

lyssagpsn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
Utah
Had a pack of dogs get into our yard, three big ones causing a ruckus. I'm lucky that I heard them so early, and got out there to chase them off, but we still got damages: out of eight chickens, two dead, and one that we thought was dead, but started dragging herself across the yard. The others seem okay, just scared, but the injured one looks like she might have a broken leg.

Is it even possible for a broken leg on a hen to heal? I need some help please (how do you even splint that?) , and if it's not possible we'll have to cull her :/

You can try. I think people usually use vet wrap, but if you do, keep in mind it shrinks and can cut off circulation. The problem is, the chicken will likely be crippled for life as it will never heal properly. And there is a good chance there are internal injuries as well. Sorry.

Animal Control officer came, of course the dogs were long gone by then, if there are any owners they aren't in the area.
After assessing the damage, we have: two dead hens :( , six live ones. The most injured one, Stripe, has torn muscles in her leg, but no breaks like I'd thought before. She had a huge gash across her back, with lots of missing skin, but we managed to stitch it up (so thankful my mom is a seamstress), and now she's wrapped in a sling so she can't move around too much and hurt herself. She'll be staying inside for a while. We had another that needed a few stitches on a puncture wound right above her leg, and a jumpy one with all of her feathers missing and a bunch of superficial cuts. Those two girls will heal up fine though. We're worried that a few of them might go into shock, so the entire flock gets aspirin water for their aches. Three of them aren't visibly hurt, but they're all shaken.

We're picking up more antibiotics and such tonight. I'm praying that everybody will recover okay. Thank you all for the support :)

Sounds like we've had the same day - only it's my own dogs to blame. We have a polish crested roo who likes to be around people. He's been hanging out at the house a lot the past few days, separating himself from the flock. He's the best roo we've every had. Very friendly and a great personality. Today our dogs singled him out and the wire hair had him in his mouth before we could get out the door. At first we thought he was gone - my son picked him up and he moved around a bit so we put him inside in a box. He couldn't put any weight on his legs but he tried to eat when I introduced crumbles. Thankfully, after a few hours he was trying to stand and move toward the food on his own. We just put him outside in a large wire crate. He still isn't putting weight on one of his legs but he'll try to curl his toes if I put my finger under his foot. Hopefully he'll continue to heal. I definately suggest keeping yours separated for a few days. If the other birds see it's injured they'll attack.

Hope all goes well...

Back
Top Bottom