Help! Dog Attack.

IndigoJaguar

Songster
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
A dog attacked my flock today....same dog that got my baby chicks last year! SO POed, but at least DH got a shot off at the dog. I managed to find all of them....several hiding in the woods. Two of them are having trouble walking and have dog bites on their back. The one just limps but can walk; the other one can't walk at all and just lays down. The one that can't walk seems alert enough....is eating and drinking. The question is.....how do I figure out what is wrong with their legs? I felt them over and they don't flinch or anything. How do I help their legs????

you might just have to put them in a quiet safe place for the night and see hoiw they are in the morning, shock is normal and that could be part of the problem. If you do put them separate from the flock make sure to keep them warm and give them water and food. they might not eat but at least they'll have it if they want too. So sorry this has happened a second time, Do you know who the dog belongs to? wash the dog bites good with soap and water, making sure to rinse well then apply something like neosporin w/o pain relief. Make sure you don't use any kind of pain relief on them that ends in caine.

Last edited:
I am keeping them in the house in a dog cage with food and water in with them. I cleaned the wounds and put on blu kote....hope that doesn't have pain relief in it!
I didn't see the dog last year. It left it's fur behind, tho, so I know it was the same one. My husband looked out the window today and said, "There's a dog out there killing your chicken!!!" I ran out screaming like a banshee and chased them off, and DH went after them and shot at the one. Then I got the worst injured chicken out from under the porch. Then went looking for all the rest several were hid in the woods, but I found them. After I got them all cleaned up, I went around to a bunch of the neighbors, but no one knew of a dog matching the description. If it comes back, it is gonna die.
I think I saved the worst injured one just in time. As I ran screaming around the house, they dropped her and ran off. I get soooo mad when it is a pet animal!!!!! I expect to lose some to a wild animal because that is the way of it...but when your pet comes in my yard and hurts my animals, I will shoot, or maim by any means possible. Even if it means taking a rake and stabbing the dog to death. KEEP YOUR DEVIL DOGS HOME, IDIOTS!!!!!! Yea. I'm mad.

hope your girls get better, with some care they should do fine, but that dog will be back

Blue-kote is great I use it all the time. I would be mad too, i hope you can find out who owns these dogs so you can let them know what they have done. I hope with time all will recover. please keep us informed about them. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you for the well wishes.
smile.png
I will update....I hope their limping is a temporary thing! It's such a pain to keep them separate and then reintigrate them. LOL

hi iwas just wondering how your chicken got on?? mine were attack by a dog 6 days ago and ive been to vets for meds and spray for there cuts but sadly i lost one 2 days after the dog have taken her all the way back to his dog box but i know where to look had an idea what dog it was so i found her but sadly she passed away.. one was missing for 3 days but he made it home and he is doing great just some cuts that i have looked after and hes eating great..the prob is the 3rd one she wont walk at all for me and i am very worried im doing my best to care for her i just am very worried bout her as i love these chickens there are much loved pets shes picky bout what she eat oats is what shes eat best she lokks happy but has lost weight please if someone could help me out shes just 3 months old

what kind of wounds does she have, could the dog have picked her up an injured her back that could be one reason she isn't walking, I don't think shock would be it if she is eating for you, might try to intice her with some scrambled eggs and plain good quality yogurt mixed in. I am so sorry this has happened to your flock, and sorry you lost one. were these your dogs?

hi iwas just wondering how your chicken got on?? mine were attack by a dog 6 days ago and ive been to vets for meds and spray for there cuts but sadly i lost one 2 days after the dog have taken her all the way back to his dog box but i know where to look had an idea what dog it was so i found her but sadly she passed away.. one was missing for 3 days but he made it home and he is doing great just some cuts that i have looked after and hes eating great..the prob is the 3rd one she wont walk at all for me and i am very worried im doing my best to care for her i just am very worried bout her as i love these chickens there are much loved pets shes picky bout what she eat oats is what shes eat best she lokks happy but has lost weight please if someone could help me out shes just 3 months old

My two are eating....haven't seen them drink, but I haven't watched them a lot. My one is trying to walk....the one that I thought was least injured....she limps when she walks tho. The other one is standing up finally but not walking around. I gave them both baths this morning and felt and looked them over good. I saw a lot more tooth marks when I did that. My chickens are pets too, but DH says we will give them a week and if they still aren't walking, then we will put them down. It's sad but I don't want them to suffer and not walking would be suffering for them because they are free rangers.
.the prob is the 3rd one she wont walk at all for me and i am very worried im doing my best to care for her i just am very worried bout her as i love these chickens there are much loved pets shes picky bout what she eat oats is what shes eat best she lokks happy but has lost weight please if someone could help me out shes just 3 months old

Do you think it could be she has internal injuries? That could possibly cause her not to walk.​

Back
Top Bottom