Help! Dog Attack.

Have to agree with the dsmo the stuff does to wonder for swollen or inflammed muscles and for open wounds or any wounds on any animal including myself I use a product called corona it works great on water fowl found out last summer when my two kayki campbells and about 18 chickens attacked by neighbors dog lost 3 of the chickens at attack time but any we found alive or injured are still living happily here. I also used red-kote but the corona seemed to stick better to there skin and feathers. All this and about 2 weeks in the front porch and as they progressed in getting better out to the yard and coop they went. The dog has been back once only to run into me and my 2 african geese and my westhighland terrier for some reason I see him the neighbors yard but he don't come over here anymore....

Hi everybody just wanted to report back with some wonderful news..My miss Henny Penny seems to be on the mend:D..we woke up yesterday and she was clucking away at us and standing well..she was acting like she wanted out of the box so we took her down to the coop...she got up very slowly and had a little peck around and sat back exhausted but was happy to be around her friend Lolly..Lolly only pecked at her the once and then dug around her and EVEN left some worms for her..we were all beaming with excitement...Lolly had her dust bath right in Henny's face and fluffed all over her but it was endearing..( well i thought so..lol)

We took her back up on the verandah in the sun and cool for the most part of the day and she called out all day..so we took her down the coop every few hours for a visit and stretch..Today she was calling out when i got up and we took her down again and she was a little more active still very slow on her feet and cant scratch yet but lots of peking and more walking around and not as much resting...again did this a few times and Lolly was always very welcoming..this evening on twilight when they would have normally gone to roost Lolly jumped up and was calling for Henny to come and she was trying but with her beek to walk as such up the ramp..the girls have never really used the ramp just always flown up to their boxes..oh this made me almost cry it was so lovely..
hit.gif
( im such a sooky la..)..we decided that she should come back up stairs for a few days yet until she has finished her meds atleast..wich she takes very well with some home made cakes all mixed in..so spoilt..

The wound has dried well and doesnt smell as horrible anymore...we had a little problem with a few maggots so the vet gave me a septicide to cover her with..i'd say that its vey similiar to the blue kort but it stains yellow...as positive and thrilled as i am im still being very cautious and prepared....no eggs yet though so i guess that will be the next thing i need to help along..anyway im just so relieved at the moment..i do think that she may never be the same again but in looks though..do the feathers grow back????????? and one foot is a little turned in but she is walking ok...ok so i just wanted to share at this stage all is well..from one vet saying she will be fine to the other saying not a chance she will make it we have made some wonderful progress... cheer Simone..

Hello there Rock Chick...the way you described the injuries are very similiar to my hens...we could see alot of her insides and bones..it was truly horrendous...but the wound has dried with the help of the antibiotics and anti inflamerty that the vet gave her along with the sepicide that we used...she couldnt stand well either in the earlier part but has made some progress the last two days...we are on day 5 of recovery..so i hope that you wil get a wonderful out come for your poor girl..cheers Simone..

Hello Simone, that is great news. it is amazing how they can come back from such horendious wounds. please keep us up dated as she continues to heal. and Bless you for all your efforts in nursing her.
thumbsup.gif

Well, Pearl....the one who is doing the best....is with the rest of the flock now. She seems tired and doesn't keep up with the rest. She stays by herself a lot...hangs out on the front porch.
roll.png
The limping one, Bridget, is walking some again, but I decided to put her in with the babies today since she might have a long recovery. They all adjusted to each other well with no problems. I wanted to keep her in the coop with the rest of them, in her separate cage, but now that I have a broody, I need that space for her....if I decide to let her sit on some eggs.
Where do you all keep your broodies? And do you take them off once a day to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom?

hi indigo, I had 7 broodys at once, can you believe it. since march. all have hatched except one and she'll hatch around the 21st I think, All mine were in the main coop while sitting except for 2 the one still sitting and the one that hatched this past Thurs. they have done fine being in the coop with the rest of the flock. For the most part my adults have left the broodys and now mamas alone. they now bring their chicks in before everyone else goes to roost and them and their chicks sleep in the nest boxes. ours sit on the floor of the coop. so it's up to you most of the time when you try to move one they will keep going back to the original nest box anyway unless you can close them up in the new place. glad to hear your girls are doing better. like you said it will take time. and most of the time they will get up and eat drink and go to the bathroom, and believe me you'll know when they are up. The scream run around with their feathers all standing out straight and poop the size of a large dog.

Last edited:
lol.png
Wow! Seven at one time! I would be seriously stressing. I just got these hens about eight weeks ago and got them in with my old flock. Now I am just trying to decide what to do. We just bought a new house, but it needs major remodel to live in, so it will be a few months before we move. Here at this house we don't have space for more chickens. I'm just trying to decide if I want to let her hatch some in the midst of all this stress for us!
Who knew chickens could make me so crazy?!!! I was just saying tonight that the chickens just make me feel stressed....I have one injured, 12 babies, 9 hens, 1 rooster, and of those 9 hens, the one I just reintegrated is still weak and the rest of the flock hasn't accepted her yet, and three of those hens are Salmon Faverolles and get picked on by the rest....and to top it off...one of those three is broody!!!!! I am exhausted and I don't feel well right now anyway.
barnie.gif
O well...sorry to be such a whiner!
I have a place sectioned off in the coop with chicken wire. I was thinking of shutting the broody in there with the eggs until I was sure she knew where to set. That would give her her own private place. So she will do what she needs to do on her own? One book I read said to MAKE SURE make her get off once a day to go the bathroom.
roll.png

Good morning, you have alot on your plate right now thats for sure. Your idea about the section just for her would work and then you can let her out a couple times a day to do her business, my hen thats in our small coop gets off once a day. you don't have to let her sit just take the eggs away if you don't feel this is the right time. This is it for me it is stressful even letting mama do it. But if you do decide to let her sit, she'll take care of everything else. they have been doing this alot longer than us. lol. heres a link that is great and very interesting reading. Come join us on the broody thread if you decide to let her set. I am crazy enough to let one of my Muscovies sit now too, 34 days for her. we do practice birth control around here, I choose the # of eggs each girl gets. anyway hope all goes well for you and hope you get to feeling better. Chickens are really a joy to have, yes they have their pecking order and that can be stressful but we have to let them work things out. unless of course someone is being pecked unmercifully then we have to step in. I hope your girls get back to 100% and you get moved into your new home and life becomes less stressful. All the best! http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html Hope you get to feeling good again too!
hugs.gif

hi everyone just want to say thanks so much for all the help and advice. Our unlucky hen has now been renamed Lucky - she is happily running around with no tail and a very black bum from the stockholm tar, but is quite happy back with the flock. Still giving her antibiotics for a few more days. Her injury still looks awful but I guess it will improve with time. Still amazed at what they can survive.
Thanks again guys - its so good to have somewhere/someone to look to for advice! Vets and pet shops can only do so much - our local pet shop stocks a range of poultry goods, but generally there's not much wisdom out there for poor hens!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom