Help, Dog attacked chick

StarBop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Stonelick Township, Ohio
She passed away. I am so upset. Stupid dog . Ugh...

So my own small dog attacked one of our chicks. I'm so upset. I didn't know she was outside or that she could get in the run. The chick is just under 6 weeks old. When it first happened I thought the chick was dead. She was still breathing so I looked her over really well and only saw several small puncture wounds. Nothing feels broken. She's acting very shocky, not moving and breathing rapidly. I cleaned all the wounds I could find and put ointment on them all. The wound I'm really concerned about is right on her vent. I'm worried it could be torn internally and could become very infected. She picks her head up for a minute when I check on her and then goes back to sleep. I've been giving her small amounts of water in her mouth. Anything else I should do? If she makes it through the night, I feel like I should pick up some antibiotics and electrolytes in the morning. I was a vet tech for several years, so I have some medical experience, but new to chickens so any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Dogs are very hard on chickens. Your dog may be trained to be okay with chickens when they are grown, but any dog will attack a chick if they get near them. I lost one of my pullets the first year to our dog, and I know what you are going through.

Back
Top Bottom