Help! Droopy neck in day old chick!

Triplecross

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Southern Michigan
I took 5 silkies out of the incubator and put under heat lamp in tote. Later that night I realized one was rolling around and after observing more and holding him he's very tumbly and neck is always down. I thought he'd be dead by morning. But he's alive only still rolling and unbalanced & head down.

And I see a second chick acting a little that way with neck down.
Is it neurological or a genetic issue? Or were they in too cramped if a shell and just need time?

Look up wry neck. I have a chick with a similar neck. He's doing better now though.

I did read about wry neck after I posted. Some say dehydration and others say neurological.

I dipped their beaks in the water and am making a batch of save a chick electrolytes for them.

Is that what you did to help your chick?

I've always started with save a chick. But I've been giving mine poly vi sol. And he seems to be improving. He can almost lift it. Though your supposed to seggregate the chick so he's not stressed as stress makes it worse but my guy got so upset being alone he's improving more staying with the rest of the chicks. You may have to help him eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom