Help Duck attacking my chickens

Wow...I just joined (again) this site and Duck forum. Several yrs ago having chicken I joined but tend NOT to do enough research online but trying to talk to others locally re challenges with flock. Of late, I picked up my first (just 2) Magpie ducks last mo. born 8/16...Your post re mating overtures is what it looks like ...has me writing , I'm sure too soon..as I haven't read the other comments from the duck attack chick query. My situation is the same as I didn't know when picked up male or female. But now see some obvious indicators I have one and one. It's the drake that is stirring up the chicken...disturbing them while egg laying . I've heard this mainly happened with Muscovey (just hearsay) but here i am ...like you levelling my shot gun at this guy..
So, let's see if we can do better...this is my first day of research and BYC my first stop...Will continue reading posts to your question and follow but believe this has to do with the 6 mo. age bracket for the drake, and the scent the chickens put out aimed for my roosters...Not brain surgery, but mostly wonder if this is known lifelong behaviour or like young men...and old men? behavior that just is ...If so, would be curious what 'outside the box ' ideas anyone may have to deal with this without total seperation .(Everybody is free range and I don't want to start putting fences up. Anybody got other options i'm stuck thought so lineally my common sense button aint workin' ? Thanks to the person who asked the 'Duck too friendly' question

Hey there other 'horney duck' person
My first day to post on BYC and am going for the 2nd ...I just separated the 2 Magpie ducks in a 'quickie' hope they don't want to fly over a 4' fence trial...They've been with the cx for about 30 days and can see them through the chain link fence..I guess the thing here am wondering is why he doesn't keep mounting the hen and would go 'elsewhere ' when she is fairly passive for this rather brutel activity. I'm fine getting more hens in hopes of eggs anyway ...this hen (5mos old ) hasn't laid any eggs ...need to check for this breed when that might happen. Have to say, the barnyard is peaceful again...hope these suckers can't fly.

My suggestion to you if you don't have a closed yard for them now...perhaps a neighbour or friend close by you could 'loan' them to until you can get out and build...My Mags are very entertaining by themselves, and do a terrific job of bug disposal as do the cxs...They don't cost much to feed as my non gmo food isn't their main food ..it's everything that's in the mud and their new hole in the ground behind the 'no fly zone' fence ! Let me know how this is going for you, Robin

We had the same problem and my drake seriously hurt one of our chickens. My husband sent the drake to freezer heaven.
1f62a.png
I am worried about his wife because they were together all the time. They are about a year old and have been with the chickens since day one. Will my female be ok or do I need to get her another mate or maybe even a baby to take care of? She is really lost.

The problem with the Drakes is that he needs more girls. As a rooster needs at least 5 or 6 hens but preferably 10 to keep him happy and the hens safe. A drake needs 4 or 5 ducks for the same reason otherwise he will go after the hens. This is not his fault.it is just nature. I have 1 drake and 6 ducks and 2 roosters and 14 hens.(would like 2 more of preference)
They all get along fine free ranging.
With ducks.2 girls get along fine as will 2 boys. But 1 of each will get along fine but not fair on the poor lady. He can bonk her to death as well.

Back
Top Bottom