Help! Duck broke it's tail? Duck tail crooked!

fourroses4you

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2022
Hi guys! New duck keeper here.

My 2 month old runner duck was caught in our electric fence yesterday. I immediately rushed there to help it untangle. Unfortunately, (bc it was so nervous) it injured it's tail from what it seems like.

Not sure how bad it is.. it walks, sleeps, drinks and eats just fine. However, it's tail looks very crooked.

I had very hard time checking on the duck, because it was extremely stressed out, so I isolated it for the night in a cage in our duck coop so it can rest and still be near the flock. I also added tylosin (not sure if that helps) and Nutridrench to it's water along side with some feed.

The information out there is very limited when it comes down to tail injuries.

Does anybody have an idea on how I can help this little duck? Any tip is appreciated.

I included a picture where I drew the tail and how it looks like to give you an idea. I'll try my best to include a picture where you can see my duck today.

Attachments

• 73e44efc47dce6b90f68abfb6b743ce8.jpg
    73e44efc47dce6b90f68abfb6b743ce8.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 57
well its good that she is eating drinking and walking, ducks are good at hiding pain though so perhaps the tail broke if you look up duck skeletal anatomy images you can see how the tail is a series of bones.
An Avian vet can take an xray if you can go that route and prescribe pain medicine if they think your duck needs it.
my blue runner duck buttercup had a broken leg from a similar situation , not an electric fence but she was caught on a fence post and freaked out so much she broke her own leg trying to get free. their little bones are very light and fragile.. my vet charged 150 for visit and 300 for xray and another 100 for medicine.
my vet didnt think my duck would heal though,, and surgery was too way too expensive and he said probably would not even work ..and he suggested putting her down..
but i took her home and kept her in a quiet dark room with one friend duck and I tube fed her (she would not eat on her own) and gave medicines and in about a month to 5 weeks she was healed!!
ducks are just good at healing.
perhaps your duck can just heal with her tail crooked if she is not in pain but going forward you have to decide and try to figure out if her quality of life is good enough to live that way.

well its good that she is eating drinking and walking, ducks are good at hiding pain though so perhaps the tail broke if you look up duck skeletal anatomy images you can see how the tail is a series of bones.
An Avian vet can take an xray if you can go that route and prescribe pain medicine if they think your duck needs it.
my blue runner duck buttercup had a broken leg from a similar situation , not an electric fence but she was caught on a fence post and freaked out so much she broke her own leg trying to get free. their little bones are very light and fragile.. my vet charged 150 for visit and 300 for xray and another 100 for medicine.
my vet didnt think my duck would heal though,, and surgery was too way too expensive and he said probably would not even work ..and he suggested putting her down..
but i took her home and kept her in a quiet dark room with one friend duck and I tube fed her (she would not eat on her own) and gave medicines and in about a month to 5 weeks she was healed!!
perhaps your duck can just heal with her tail crooked if she is not in pain but going forward you have to decide and try to figure out if her quality of life is well its good that she is eating drinking and walking, ducks are good at hiding pain though so perhaps the tail broke if you look up duck skeletal anatomy images you can see how the tail is a serie
perhaps your duck can just heal with her tail crooked if she is not in pain but going forward you have to decide and try to figure out if her quality of life is good enough to live that way.
Thank you so much for sharing! I’m so glad your duck recovered!!

Unfortunately, visiting a vet is not an option for us right now financially..

I was thinking about giving her a tiny dose of pain medication to ease the pain a little.. but I’m also concerned about giving her too much accidentally.

Do you recommend isolating her in this case? I don’t want her to be stressed out, but I also don’t know what I can do for her besides offering a quiet spot.

I included some photos of her.

Attachments

• tempImageYz3pH2.png
    tempImageYz3pH2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImageSOqDIa.png
    tempImageSOqDIa.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
What pain meds are you talking about? I've seen ducks and chickens with wry tail that live great lives. Even if the tail never straightens back normal I don't see why she can't go on and live a normal life. They are beautiful Runners by the way.

What pain meds are you talking about? I've seen ducks and chickens with wry tail that live great lives. Even if the tail never straightens back normal I don't see why she can't go on and live a normal life. They are beautiful Runners by the way.
To be honest.. I was thinking about giving her a tiny, tiny piece of regular, „human“ pain killer. Like I said, I’m not feeling too good about that.

And thank you for mentioning wry tail, because it looks the same.
At this point I’m kinda confused because I memorize one of my runners having a weird tail? Maybe it’s her. I’ll check her again today and try to see if she quacks when I gently touch her tail (too see ifs she’s in pain)

Appreciate your help! And thanks I’ll tell my ducks 🦆😊

Back
Top Bottom