Help! Duck eggs - janoel 12

Ravenstorrough1

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been reading lots of your posts and doing research into how to incubate duck eggs....however, I have one egg that appears to have a detached air sac.

I left them sitting upright (pointed end down) for 34 hours after receiving them in the post, with the intention of leaving them all sitting upright for another 3 days inside the incubator in a cut down egg carton (up to 7 days for the one with detached air sac) BUT they won't fit in the janoel 12 that I have 😯. I've sat it in a section of egg carton at about 45 degrees and the rest are sitting on their sides.
Will the air sac reattach if I gently turn the egg? Should I leave all of the eggs for 3 days still before starting to turn? I have two hygrometers inside, average temp of 37.6 degrees and 40% humidity. I calibrated one of them with the salt & water in a cup, in a sealed bag. I candled and weighed all of the eggs, marked the egg sacs and numbered them all with pencil. Everything was bleached & sterilised and I have a piece of foam lattice stuff on inside to keep them more secure and prevent any rolling. I've printed a weight loss chart so I can make sure they're of target for 14% loss and I really hope I've not missed anything!
Any advice appreciated - I'm so nervous!!

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I have a number of shipped duck eggs due to hatch in a week. Some have a badly saddled air cell and are developing.

I had two eggs with the saddled air cell hatch a while back; both eggs produced normal, healthy ducklings.

I'd recommend leaving the eggs with the air cell problem incubate without turning it for 3-4 days. If the other have a normal air cell I'd turn them.

The air cells on my eggs remain saddled throughout incubation. I'm guessing your "detached" is the same as my "saddled".

Ravenstorrough1

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
Thanks- I wasn't sure if I should leave all eggs for a few days to develop before starting to turn but I'll certainly leave the one with detached air sac for a few days. The air sac is normal size and shape currently, just not attached. I was more worried that I couldn't set it completely vertical upright x

Ravenstorrough1

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
Anyone any thoughts on this egg not being upright please? Just worried about the air sac not being able to reattach and hope that other people have had success with a detached air sac.
I'm looking at other incubators as I don't see how the janoel 12 could possibly fit upright duck eggs and this one egg is the smallest of the 6 😣
Thanks

Ravenstorrough1

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
Well it all turned out well and the one with saddled air cell that was initially partially detached did hatch and I had 50% hatch rate with that batch and 100% with another batch and have since ordered an r-com suro max 20 for more reliable, controllable temp/humidity.

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Well it all turned out well and the one with saddled air cell that was initially partially detached did hatch and I had 50% hatch rate with that batch and 100% with another batch and have since ordered an r-com suro max 20 for more reliable, controllable temp/humidity.
:thumbsup Is your new incubator forced air/has a fan?? One thing I have noticed with the still air incubators, I have used, is that they have hot spots and cool spots; which makes for DIS eggs.

Top Bottom