Help! Duck eggs - janoel 12

Ravenstorrough1

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been reading lots of your posts and doing research into how to incubate duck eggs....however, I have one egg that appears to have a detached air sac.

I left them sitting upright (pointed end down) for 34 hours after receiving them in the post, with the intention of leaving them all sitting upright for another 3 days inside the incubator in a cut down egg carton (up to 7 days for the one with detached air sac) BUT they won't fit in the janoel 12 that I have 😯. I've sat it in a section of egg carton at about 45 degrees and the rest are sitting on their sides.
Will the air sac reattach if I gently turn the egg? Should I leave all of the eggs for 3 days still before starting to turn? I have two hygrometers inside, average temp of 37.6 degrees and 40% humidity. I calibrated one of them with the salt & water in a cup, in a sealed bag. I candled and weighed all of the eggs, marked the egg sacs and numbered them all with pencil. Everything was bleached & sterilised and I have a piece of foam lattice stuff on inside to keep them more secure and prevent any rolling. I've printed a weight loss chart so I can make sure they're of target for 14% loss and I really hope I've not missed anything!
Any advice appreciated - I'm so nervous!!

I have a number of shipped duck eggs due to hatch in a week. Some have a badly saddled air cell and are developing.

I had two eggs with the saddled air cell hatch a while back; both eggs produced normal, healthy ducklings.

I'd recommend leaving the eggs with the air cell problem incubate without turning it for 3-4 days. If the other have a normal air cell I'd turn them.

The air cells on my eggs remain saddled throughout incubation. I'm guessing your "detached" is the same as my "saddled".

Thanks- I wasn't sure if I should leave all eggs for a few days to develop before starting to turn but I'll certainly leave the one with detached air sac for a few days. The air sac is normal size and shape currently, just not attached. I was more worried that I couldn't set it completely vertical upright x

Anyone any thoughts on this egg not being upright please? Just worried about the air sac not being able to reattach and hope that other people have had success with a detached air sac.
I'm looking at other incubators as I don't see how the janoel 12 could possibly fit upright duck eggs and this one egg is the smallest of the 6 😣
Thanks

Well it all turned out well and the one with saddled air cell that was initially partially detached did hatch and I had 50% hatch rate with that batch and 100% with another batch and have since ordered an r-com suro max 20 for more reliable, controllable temp/humidity.

Well it all turned out well and the one with saddled air cell that was initially partially detached did hatch and I had 50% hatch rate with that batch and 100% with another batch and have since ordered an r-com suro max 20 for more reliable, controllable temp/humidity.
:thumbsup Is your new incubator forced air/has a fan?? One thing I have noticed with the still air incubators, I have used, is that they have hot spots and cool spots; which makes for DIS eggs.

Back
Top Bottom