HELP Duck fell in heated water bucket & won't walk

Krosnick

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
Please help!!! I moved into a new home in the fall and the home came with two special needs ducks. Yesterday I went to check on them and I found one of them stuck in the 2 gallon heated water bucket. I brought her inside, dried her off and gave her fresh water. Once she warmed up and dried off, she started to act more herself. She still couldn't stand or walk last night. When I checked on her this morning she still cannot stand or walk.... Both of her legs seem to be okay. She doesn't screech when I pull or press on the feet/legs. I do not see any wounds on her. I am wondering if anyone has other ideas for the poor gal?

I agree with @nuthatched , this is probably stress. Why do you consider her 'special needs'?

I would give her a nice, quiet spot to rest for a bit, like a dog carrier or something similar. Keep an eye on her and if she doesn't improve, you may want to contact an avian vet.

What does she eat? Stress can trigger wry neck and balance issues.
She eats Purina duck pellets, and scratch grains daily. Then I give her all the special treats some days. She does seem "off balance" when I try to stand her up on her feet.

I agree with @nuthatched , this is probably stress. Why do you consider her 'special needs'?

I would give her a nice, quiet spot to rest for a bit, like a dog carrier or something similar. Keep an eye on her and if she doesn't improve, you may want to contact an avian vet.
She was bought as a duckling by a teenager behind my house. They didn't know what to feed the ducklings and gave her bird seed... She almost died from niacin deficiency. They also didn't know she needed water.. She needed to learn how to swim... The house association wouldn't let them keep the ducks. She hasn't had an easy road.

Are they both currently on a niacin supplement? Since they were deprived as younglings, it may be a good idea to give them extra now. How old are they? And do you have any pictures?

Thank you for taking them on, especially with their needs.

Oh, and :welcome ! We will do our best to help you and your feathered charges out!

Are they both currently on a niacin supplement? Since they were deprived as younglings, it may be a good idea to give them extra now. How old are they? And do you have any pictures?

Thank you for taking them on, especially with their needs.

Oh, and :welcome ! We will do our best to help you and your feathered charges out!
The only niacin supplement they get is in the Purina Duck Pellets. Should I give them extra niacin? Can they receive too much niacin? I also gave her electrolites in her water.

Thank you! I am in love with these two girls I adopted with the house and pond. The picture of her in the tote with water was last evening. The other two are this morning. I am going to go get her sister and move her inside as well. Trying to figure out where to put both girls.

Attachments

• 69750159431__85DD97D8-89E0-4DB9-B749-66D73C7D94AF.jpg
    69750159431__85DD97D8-89E0-4DB9-B749-66D73C7D94AF.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 3
Oh, she's a little darling! I'm so glad she's getting better care now!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give some additional niacin, although I think the liquid Vitamin B complex you can get at the feed store might be best (it also has niacin in it, which is a B vitamin). I just keep forgetting the name of it because it's not available in Canada, that I can see.

@Miss Lydia , can you remind me what the name of it is again, please?

1ml over treats or through syringe
Not to be put in the water bucket as they won’t get the proper dose
I would also add nutritional yeast to the feed on a regular basis because of her issues at the start
They will release any niacin the body doesn’t need.
Is she using her legs in the water ?
I haven’t heard of ducks getting scratch before. I’m sure that’s a chicken thing
Also giving them to many treats isn’t a good thing
It should only be 10 % of the diet
Also providing grit is really important to help digest any feed that isn’t the duck pellets
Is she laying eggs ? This would be something I would check as maybe she was struggling to lay an egg and jumped in the bucket
Sometimes if they are struggling they will jump in the pools and lay the egg
Do you provide crushed oyster shells for the girls ?

Attachments

• C914C15F-0949-4A1C-8415-EDAF14B8C86C.png
    C914C15F-0949-4A1C-8415-EDAF14B8C86C.png
    506.2 KB · Views: 3
:goodpost:
she is adorable. If you have an xlarge dog crate that would work. Do you know how long she may have been stuck in the bucket? When she is in the water will she move her legs? try and stand up?

Back
Top Bottom