1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Duck has plugged nostril.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julie2929, May 22, 2017.

1. Julie2929

Julie2929 New Egg

May 22, 2017
    Hello, new to board and new duck owner.

I've had my ducks for 2 weeks now, so they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. I have a Blue Swedish whose right nostril is plugged. It is solid and looks almost like a scab. Cannot pick or wipe it out. He/she does have water to dunk bill/head but it hasn't cleared. Most of the time he/she seems to breathe ok. If they have swam a lot, may appear winded, but I'm concerned and still novice with ducks so I want to make sure I am doing anything I can to help.

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Do you have a photo of it?

3. Julie2929

Julie2929 New Egg

May 22, 2017
    Good news! Of course after 3 days and finally posting here, I went to take a photo and it's finally open!

DancingWthDucks likes this.
  4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    :thumbsup Great news!

5. Julie2929

Julie2929 New Egg

May 22, 2017
    The saga continues. I think he/she may have a cold. His breathing sounds whistlely and his/her other nostril is not fully plugged, but bubbles when he/she breathes and has dried discharge on bill around it. This duck doesn't dunk it's head and clean like the others. When I gave them a fresh water tub this morning, the other 3 went crazy dipping their bills, but this one just drank. No dipping. Suggestions?

6. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    When my duckling's nostrils were plugged, I gave him a warm bath, and then another, and worked at the nostril with my fingernail. Eventually it cleared. He liked the warm water and I think it helped him to be more active in the water, dunking his head and such. Good luck!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Be aware that not keeping the nares clean increases risk of sinus and respiratory infection. You may need to help with the cleaning daily for this little one. Ducks and ducklings hide illness so you need to watch for signs and get help if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by