HELP! Duck has plugged nostril.

Julie2929

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
Hello, new to board and new duck owner.

I've had my ducks for 2 weeks now, so they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. I have a Blue Swedish whose right nostril is plugged. It is solid and looks almost like a scab. Cannot pick or wipe it out. He/she does have water to dunk bill/head but it hasn't cleared. Most of the time he/she seems to breathe ok. If they have swam a lot, may appear winded, but I'm concerned and still novice with ducks so I want to make sure I am doing anything I can to help.

The saga continues. I think he/she may have a cold. His breathing sounds whistlely and his/her other nostril is not fully plugged, but bubbles when he/she breathes and has dried discharge on bill around it. This duck doesn't dunk it's head and clean like the others. When I gave them a fresh water tub this morning, the other 3 went crazy dipping their bills, but this one just drank. No dipping. Suggestions?

When my duckling's nostrils were plugged, I gave him a warm bath, and then another, and worked at the nostril with my fingernail. Eventually it cleared. He liked the warm water and I think it helped him to be more active in the water, dunking his head and such. Good luck!

Be aware that not keeping the nares clean increases risk of sinus and respiratory infection. You may need to help with the cleaning daily for this little one. Ducks and ducklings hide illness so you need to watch for signs and get help if needed.

Back
Top Bottom