Help duck hatching from center of egg

Egghelp

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Not sure if this little guy is ok or not. He started hatching yesturday afternoon from the center of the egg. Every now and then he chirps real loud but other than that not much chirping. Attached is a photo of the egg, Is he ok do I need to do anything? please help

Thanks
Christian

I have had ducklings hatch from the wrong side or middle as well. If he is still chirping I wouldn't do much at this point. Give him a break, he is probably worn out from working so hard, it can be quite exhausting, and I know mine always took lengthy breaks after the first major pip. Just make sure that he stays moist. Especially the membrane right around him. There is always a possibility that you will have to help him out, I have helped a couple duckling hatch, but that is always a last resort. Hope everything works out!!

Thanks, He hasnt done much of anything for the past 3hours. Hes look the same in the photo three hours later. I can see his beak moving, and there is a lot of fluid around that area with bubbles coming from his beak. last egg hatched happen in just about 24 hours. his chirps are few and far between.

It is so hard to know! Some do just take longer than others, but you would hate to just leave him when he needs help... I guess it's your call but if you wanted to VERY gently pull away some shell right around where his hole is, then let him rest and see if it encourages him,and then slowly continue little by little.. Once I actually had to pretty much hatch some ducklings all myself, but that was my first time hatching ducks, and my fault for not having the humidity and temp. right. 2 out of 3 of the ducklings lived to adult hood but it was really stressful.

Waiting is SO HARD!

Back
Top Bottom