Help: Duck having trouble breathing

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
JJ is wheezing and seems to be having trouble breathing. Do ducks catch colds? ?? What is the best treatment option?

She was fine yesterday, just seemed a little quiet. Tonight hubby notived she seemed to be breathing hard. It doesn't sound like her lungs are rattling or anything, just like her throat is constricted a bit. She is still eating and drinking and I made sure she had vitamins in her water. I also tried to get a look in her bill and couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

Any clues?

Last edited:
Hi, I have an Indian runner that was wheezing this past fall, had no idea what to do. I took her in the bathroom and steamed up the room which help with the wheezing temporarily. I then got some terramycin to add to her water and but the end of treatment she was fine and returned to the coop, no problem. It can be because of a change in temp, or some bacterial infection, but there isn't too much info that I found. Terramycin is safe for waterfowl unless laying eggs, but I think you should be fine. Start with steam shower, it definitely helps. Good luck!

You may find terramycin is getting hard to find because I was told they were trying to do away with it and that you may only be able to get Agromycin I believe which is also supposed to be safe for waterfowl.

Well crud...

Looks like it might be aspergillosis.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis

There is no mold in their food or bedding, but it has been wet and miserable here for days. I will clean the pen again and santize their dishes.

barnie.gif

Quote:
sad.png
Sorry for your loss.

Keep an eye on the others, you know respiratory illnesses spread very easily through birds.

Bungie is by himself for now. The big ducks have their own pen and Uno is still in the brooder. The one most likely to get sick is isolated. Since I need to wait at least a week or two before eitherhe can play with the big ducks or Uno can join him, this will give me time to see if he starts showing symptoms.

Ooh Wifezilla! i'm very sorry!! you gave him the best home he could have ever had! so sorry!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom