Help Duck Just Bit By Turtle!! Extensive Damage!

ashbug9

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Please help! my mallard duck was just bitten by a snapping turtle. There is damage to his leg and it seems that more that just fat tissue has been bitten off and he is bleeding a little bit. He seems to be in shock! What do i do???? PLease help! Thank you

I would say that you need to clean it, apply a topical antibacterial ointment and wrap in vetwrap or something similar. Keep him in a small crate and check it/change dressing daily. Give him some of his favorite treats and some electrolytes in his water.

Hope he comes through the shock.

After assessing the extent of his damages, is seems his one leg does not work at all and i can see some of his organs, however there is very little blood. He is still able to hold his head up, but even if he pulled through, would he be able to survive without a functioning leg?

Friend of ours called us earlier today from town, a mallard was trying to cross the street in full blown traffic. She was wobbling and they realized she was missing most of one of her legs :( we got there as fast as we could and retrieved her. We noticed that this wound was about a 2-3 days old. We cleaned and bandaged her, put her in a large dog crate with plenty of food,water and bedding. Is there anything else I could be doing short of going to the vets? The vets are quite expensive and I don't think we can handle the bill right now.

Try finding a rehabber to take her in. You are heroes, you are! At the same time, there is a migratory bird act law that restricts who can care for wild waterfowl.

Aside from that bureaucratic detail….

I will think out loud. I might consider oral antibiotics, and letting air get to the wound. Keep her away from flies, I think you already know that. What are you currently using to medicate her?

A good rinse in saline solution several times a day would be good, and an antibiotic cream, not ointment so that more air could get to the wound. I worry about anaerobic bacteria (gangrene) in those wounds (I am imagining a turtle took the foot).

Vetericyn is a good product for cleaning wounds also. Check to see if there are bits of sand or anything in the wound. Those can prevent healing.

There is a Duck Forum her on BYC - you may want to check in there, many knowledgeable duck people review that forum.

@casportpony

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga! :) I will check out the duck forum as well. The bandage we dressed her with didn't last long so we rethought and decided to leave the bandage off. I did clean it with saline then sprayed the vetericyn, and put antibiotic ointment on the wound. The foot is gone. She has a little bit of leg left, so the wound that is there is small and was starting to heal on its own, and about a inch of leg bone is exposed. I also have her on electrolytes. I will be heading back into town this morning to see if I can get some oral antibiotics, and anything else that will help. We are keeping her indoors for now. She is young, probably 2 months old.

She is quickly becoming quite the cuddle bunny and has much interest in our other ducks. We have also named her "Lucky Duck" That said I will also check out the migratory bird act law.

Update: I took Lucky Duck to The Wildlife Center of Virginia. It was hard, but it was the best thing for Lucky Duck! She will get lots of great vet care there and they are keeping me posted. If it turns out she is of a domestic breed of mallard, they will let me adopt her back, if she is a wildlife breed then they will release her into the wild after she is all fixed up. Bitter sweet feelings

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom