Help! Duck lost a foot

So sorry for your duck! :hugs

I agree with Kathy, vet would be best, if possible... if not, keep it clean and bandaged, padded well to help prevent further damage... isolated and quiet, shock and trauma can be worse than wounds sometimes... watch for signs of infection, excessive heat (remember their body temps are higher than ours, though), redness, swelling, discoloration or any bad smell...

Sling might help her to keep off of it, or at least pillows to make her a channel to lay in...

What breed is she? Heavier weight breeds have more complications adapting to one leg, lighter weight breeds have a higher chance of adapting...

Not all get picked on, and some do quite well with one leg... my Peg is a Call (so much smaller) and she actually hatched with only one leg, but she gets around just as well as her flock mates... she can swim straight and she balances on one leg just fine... only uses her wings to steady herself occasionally...

piZap_1518845124596_wm.jpg

So don't give up hope, they're tougher and more resilient than we think! :)

See! THAT’s why we call in the ducksperts. They have knowledge and experience on these things that is impeccable. Didn’t even consider how breed could affect recovery and prognosis. My Pekin (large sized bird) just simply sprained her leg and I briefly thought she was going to be a ducky pirate the way she was acting (full reliance on wing to move around, swimming in circles, etc.) but that makes total sense that a smaller bird could do much better.

And my goodness @Ravynscroft, how freakin adorable is Peg!? And she’s one legged!? I’m a total sucker pushover for “underdogs” so you had me at one legged. Then she’s a cute little call duck too AND pretty!? (Swoon)

What’s her breed? Sortve reminds me of a Welsh Harlequin but I *just* started studying them yesterday so I’m far far away from picking them out of a lineup.

Hope your girls doing well this morning. One of my Muscovy drakes had an infection and while the leg was swollen the foot was completely frost bitten. It fell off yesterday and he's already figuring out how to get around. It was scary having to wrap it up. Can't imagine doing yours. Good luck! Infection would be my biggest worry. Poor girl. Hoping it turns out well for you both!

See! THAT’s why we call in the ducksperts. They have knowledge and experience on these things that is impeccable. Didn’t even consider how breed could affect recovery and prognosis. My Pekin (large sized bird) just simply sprained her leg and I briefly thought she was going to be a ducky pirate the way she was acting (full reliance on wing to move around, swimming in circles, etc.) but that makes total sense that a smaller bird could do much better.

And my goodness @Ravynscroft, how freakin adorable is Peg!? And she’s one legged!? I’m a total sucker pushover for “underdogs” so you had me at one legged. Then she’s a cute little call duck too AND pretty!? (Swoon)

What’s her breed? Sortve reminds me of a Welsh Harlequin but I *just* started studying them yesterday so I’m far far away from picking them out of a lineup.
I'll answer that for her.. . peg is a call duck. :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/♥-♥-♥-show-off-your-call-ducks-♥-♥-♥.1212693/

Back
Top Bottom