strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
So 3 days ago I was going to monitor my duck nests, but one was empty so I looked for the mother.
I found her... In the creek with one eye missing and the other badly damaged. She can see slightly but not well, she's eating and drinking fine. Her nest was under a bramble bush, so I doubt a hawk could get to her. Maybe a weasel? Whatever attacked her left the eggs untouched. We don't have an avian vet for about 400 miles, and all the vets in the area don't do birds. What can I do? And do you know what might have attacked her? I'll try get some pics.
(I couldn't find the 'emergencies forum' so I posted here)

What are your predators in New Zealand? might be different than here in the USA Hard to imagine a weasel getting hold of your duck and not killing her they are nasty preds. kill by grabbing the throat I believe and if like minks suck out the blood.

What breed is your duck?

Have you rinsed her eyes out at all you can use a saline rinse or Veterycin Not sure if you can get it there though. Infection is what you have to watch out for so keep her clean and away from flies if you have them or you'll have maggots.

What are your predators in New Zealand? might be different than here in the USA Hard to imagine a weasel getting hold of your duck and not killing her they are nasty preds. kill by grabbing the throat I believe and if like minks suck out the blood.
In NZ the main predators are rats, swamphens, hawks, weasels and stoats are a pain too. Maybe a dog?

What breed is your duck?
She Is A Khaki Campbell x Cayuga

Have you rinsed her eyes out at all you can use a saline rinse or Veterycin Not sure if you can get it there though. Infection is what you have to watch out for so keep her clean and away from flies if you have them or you'll have maggots.
I rinsed her face. I'll see if we have anything to put on her eyes. It's late winter here so no flies

Oh good no flies. You could make up a saline rinse using warm distilled water and salt 1/8 teaspoon salt to 1 cup of water. Since she is eating and drinking good that is a good sign. Now to just keep infection away.

Really hard to say what got hold of her and didn't go all the way and kill her is she a Muscovy? asking because I think of all breeds they could put up the best fight but still hard to believe she wasn't killed. And the eggs not eaten or messed with is very strange unless what ever it was got scared off by something. Very important when a duck goes broody to let them sit in a safe place locked up at night they really are sitting ducks. Even when not brooding.

Back
Top Bottom