Help! Duck mating hens.

coopdeville08

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
arlington WA
I need some advice with our male muscovy. He has been mating with one of our chickens. We have separated the two but its only a matter of time before he will start on another one. My question is if we get a female duck for him will he leave the chickens alone. I tried separating him but he flys were he wants. Do I have any hope in keeping him and the chickens together??
Will one female be enough for him?

If your drake continues to mate your hen, he may physically injure or kill her. Muscovies are clumsy breeders and can scratch backs or break bones. Chicken anatomy is not designed for the insertion of objects (drake's penis), and he may cause a cloacal prolapse and death of the hen. Either get rid of him, clip his wings, or improve your pens. Now that he has discovered "variety" in his sex life, it is unlikely that he will change.

I'd try getting a female duck for him. I have a drake and duck (scovie) in a pen with 6 chickens. The drakes never given them a second glance and they all get along nicely. I reckon another duck will make him happier too.
But Sourland has a point, not sure if he'll continue to try to mate your hens since he think he can?
hu.gif

Good luck

Oh by the way, usually *atleast* 2 female ducks are best - so that one female doesn't get 'hammered' by the one drake. I've heard of injuries and death's from a muscovy drake being to rough on one female. I think the ratio is one drake to four females? Cant remember, sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom