Help! Duck with eye shut and funny breathing :(

Also, see if you can offer her fresh grass clippings from clean, non-chemical treated grass...this has been recommended to me to help get beneficial bacteria/natural probiotics into my horses' guts after they have been treated with antibiotics.

Probios also comes in paste form and is easier to dose by far than powder...it would be in the horse section of the store, not sure how much you would give by weight, you'd have to wing it on that one.

Is she able to submerge her head and flush her own sinuses where she is now?

I think I'm going to fill the bathtub up with some warm water and let her do her thing...I helped her earlier this morning, so maybe this will help it for the night.

I do have some saline in the barn, I will grab that tomorrow morning when I go back out there. I will go get the paste ProBios and give her some grass (no chemicals), too.

Thanks, I will be reading those threads as soon as I'm done typing. Motley is sleeping right now, but she did wake up and sounded congested and I heard her breathing.....

Motley and I appreciate your guys' help, especially duckluck and rainplace! Thanks SO much!
hugs.gif

I don't have enough experience to help, but I sure hope she gets better. What a shame the vet wouldn't work with you

Thanks so much- we appreciate the thoughts and support. I know, I wish vets would understand that it is hard for some people to fork up a lot of money all at once.

I let Motley swim for about 20 minutes, and put some celery in the water for her to eat. She enjoyed splashing and getting clean. Her eye looks better than before she went into the tub, but some of the white goop is still there. You can still hear her breathing- I felt bad when she was just sitting in the water and it was an effort for her to breathe.

Saline..... I need to mix it with water, correct? How much saline to water? Half saline and Half water?

Thanks
smile.png

let her take longer baths... My ducks get to be in the tub for over an hour everyday, and that will give her plenty of time to flush out her bill/eye. They make an antibiotic ointment you can put on the eye, but the name is escaping me, starts with a t....

Saline will not hurt her, but it might make her uncomfortable. She's probably really stressed from all the excitement, so keeping her warm and with the lights down will help keep her calm. She probably was developing a cold (my ducks get them too, including the weird breathing), when some over anxious drake pecked her while trying to do her thing... the eye is probably getting clogged with mucus and drying out. If you have a humidifer, place that by her crate, and that should help. Can you see through her nostrils by chance? they may help you figure out how clogged it is up there. Also, giving her a few baths maybe once in the mid morning or afternoon and once before bed will help too. I recommend for water, you get her a tall coffee mug. I did this with my ducks when she was sequestered. you'll have to change it twice a day, but it gives her more water to clear her nose out and clean her eye. you can buy powdered vitamins (either the kind for animals from the feed store or the kind for babies without iron) and add it to her water. Extra vitamins help.

Also, to keep her eating, offer her greens, peas, corn, and cat/dog food to keep up her appetite. Those tend to be ducky favorites. If she won't eat but will drink, you can mash up the cat/dog food into water making a soup for her.

oh i found some antibiotic ideas for you-
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...49WKCPGP1X9FG8777F&BrowseList=452&dept_id=413

the Tetroxy and Tetramed both look like good ones for your duck. You might be able to get these in a smaller amount from a feed store. you may not necessarily find these exact brands, but the antibiotic name is called tetracycline.

The eye ointment contains terramycin. That may help too and you should be able to find it at a feed store near you.

Back
Top Bottom