HELP!! DUCK WITH POSSIBLE BUMBLEFOOT!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shorty086913, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Shorty086913

Shorty086913 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Is there anyone who can help me out with home treatment tips for my duck that I think has bumble foot,shes almost a year old not yet laying eggs and I noticed she barely started limping yesterday possibly the day before and she has a big bubble on her toe but I don't see any scabs!! What should I do??

UPDATE:When I first noticed something was wrong, she was limping a bit, since I've started soaking her legs in Epson salt water and Today I did the first try of a triple antibiotic and pain ointment and she isn't limping as bad now. I'm not sure if its from the pain stuff in the ointment or if its cuz its starting to get better, anyone have any thoughts on it??

PHOTOS UPDATE:
    ok everyone I got pics to post of her feet!! Plz take a look and let me know thoughts, opinions, tips, anything will help!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6/23/16
    My little girl still has a good appetite!! She's a trooper, u can tell when she walks she's hurting, but she acts like nothing is wrong!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

In the bubble could be a prickle or she bent her toe? Like a blister...?

3. Shorty086913

Apr 28, 2016
    It is a bubble but her leg is also really hot.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Most things cause injuries to feel hot.
    Try letting her swim in cold water. Bumble foot has never happened to one of my Ducks...
    Sorry I cant help more...

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  6. Shorty086913

Apr 28, 2016
    UPDATE:When I first noticed something was wrong, she was limping a bit, since I've started soaking her legs in Epson salt water and Today I did the first try of a triple antibiotic and pain ointment and she isn't limping as bad now. I'm not sure if its from the pain stuff in the ointment or if its cuz its starting to get better, anyone have any thoughts on it??

7. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have a couple of thoughts......I am a novice when it comes to ducks but from what I've been told you aren't supposed to use triple antibiotic ointment WITH pain reliever on ducks. I don't know exactly why but am guessing that ducks are sensitive to the pain reliever part or perhaps that it is toxic to them. You can buy triple antibiotic ointment with or with out pain reliever. When I had to buy some it seemed like there were 20 kinds with pain reliever and only a couple without. Check the front of the box but also look at the ingredients listed on the back to double check. I found some were not obviously labeled on the front to have pain reliever but did in fact have it in the ingredients.

The leg being hot is a sign that infection is spreading. My vet told me to watch for that and that if it spreads up the leg it can get into the blood stream and be deadly. I don't mean to scare you. I am currently dealing with bumblefoot in 2 ducks (one right after the other) as well. My first time with it so I'm learning as I go.

When you say "bubble" is it a soft squishy bubble or a hard marble like bump? My two had hard bumps. Nothing squishy about them at all.

Sorry you and your duckie are having to deal with this. Good luck to you!

8. allycatclark69

allycatclark69 New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Help I have a female peking duck, she has a huge knot on her leg up near her body it is hot to the touch and she is having trouble walking. I confined her last night and soaked it for 10 minutes in warm Epson salt solution. I'm just not sure how to treat it any suggestions are welcomed.

9. Shorty086913

Apr 28, 2016

I switched to original neosporin ointment and tried to wrap her leg but can't get it to stay on, so I am doing Epsom salt water soaks and then spraying her legs with vetericyn spray also keeping her isolated with clean potty mats and also have started her on Terra vet antibiotic powder that is in her water. There is no open wounds I can see and the bubbles on her legs are not hard like rocks but they are a little firm and somewhat squishy she is still eating and drinking and walking ok not limping as bad as when I first noticed her. So does anyone know if all this is a good start and ok to do or any other suggestions??

10. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    Could the bumps be from settling from an injury or a sting? Have you noticed the bumps getting any smaller?
    Just a thought..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by